Organize Unused Greeting Cards

In our family, we keep all the greeting cards contained in a nice plastic container. It works pretty well, but when you went to look for an appropriate card, you'd have to sort through all of them to find the right kind. I discovered a functional and thrifty way to organize the cards.

I took cheap paper folders (the kind you can get for 10 cents at back to school sales) and cut them in half, so that one half would have both pockets and the other half would not have pockets. I then put the cards, sorted by category into the little compartments. The pocketed ones are good for cards I had less of, such as graduation and get well. I took the top half with no pockets and used it as a folder for cards I had more of, like birthday, that could not all fit into the pockets well. Each pocketed portion hold a different category of cards. I used a permanent marker on the outside front to label the categories.

We keep them in a plastic container, but you could use a cardboard box or some extra space in a drawer. It is a good way to keep a close inventory on your cards and is much cheaper than pricey premade card caddies.

By Brittany

I have experienced the same problem. I will try this. thanks

I bought an accordion folder (the kind with 12 pockets) after tax time a few years ago and use it to store my cards. I spent a bit extra and got one made of plastic instead of paper and with a good closing latch. Then I just sorted the cards into the 12 sections, it even holds the "tall, skinny" cards easily. I have one section devoted to an address list and stickers to add to the cards or envelopes. The whole thing stores in my filing cabinet.

On large categories, like birthday cards, I have separate pockets for kids and adults. You could also divide by humorous, cute, sweet or whatever you like. When I see cards at yard sales or thrift stores I add them to my collection.

Had to chuckle with the idea of storing my greeting cards in folders since I have THOUSANDS of cards that I use for all the repurposed workshops I teach! I store my cards in three 4-drawer metal files, filed by lots and lots of categories. No file folders for me!

Caseye, I'd love to see all your cards and attend one of your recycle classes. I'm sure that would be a lot of fun. I make greeting cards for soldiers, family and friends and occasionally use a card I have received, but would like to have more ideas.

Woman Making Greeting Cards With Children
Saving Money on Greeting Cards
Organizing MiscellaneousAugust 14, 2009
Finished tile trivet project (square format).
Making a Greeting Card Trivet
Greeting Cards
Donating Old Greeting Cards
Vintage Hank Aaron Baseball Card Leaning Against Old Baseball
Determining the Value of Baseball Cards
Making Fall Greeting Cards
Making Fall Birthday and Greeting Cards
🎉
🎄