Keeping Drains Clean

I need a solution for keeping drains clean. Thank you.

Carleen from Spring Hill, Florida

I pour about 1 cup of soda in the drain followed by about 2 cups of vinegar. When the bubbling has stopped I pour about a tea pot full of boiling water in. Sometimes I stop the drain up with the lever and use a plunger while the soda/vinegar stuff is working and then release the drain and pour hot water in. I do this monthly and it seems to help.

I mark it on my calendar.......The first of every month I put 2 tablespoons of Drano down my kitchen drain and then run water. We have had the worst trouble with that drain clogging fairly regularly, but since I have been doing this for 18 months we've had no more clogs.

Susan in Omaha

Powdered Drano on a monthly basis is the best if you have troublesome drains that clog up with soap scum and hair.

I have little faith in baking soda and vinegar as they bubble with each other, but when they combine, they produce salt water. Boiling water is very good to help keep drains clear, which is why a person's kitchen drains don't clog up nearly as much as bathroom drains.

The Arm and Hammer baking soda and vinegar create carbonic acid which can eat thru most clog creating stuff like hair and food if used weekly or bi-monthly. In addition they kill the drain flies and their eggs and maggots that can come out of the drain. Drano is very bad for the environment as it contains shards of aluminum. As for some of the other ingredients in drano they are: sodium hydroxide, sodium nitrate, sodium chloride, and aluminum. Sodium chloride is table salt which is what one of the ladies above said baking soda and vinegar create which isn't true. Carbonic acid quickly breaks down to nothing but carbon dioxide and water which isn't bad for the environment like drano. Just be careful because of course if you spill baking soda on you and then spill vinegar on you, it will chemically burn you just like drano can. I use it all the time for fresh smelling drains and to kill those pesky drain flies. It also works great in the toilet. Just turn off the water, sprinkle the baking soda 1 cup or 2, and then pour 1 or 2 cups of vinegar quickly. Then pour a pitcher of hot water to rinse everything down. You can followup with straight baking soda to scrub the toilet out or straight vinegar to get hardwater stains. Much safer than using those toxic chemicals that leak toxic fumes into our homes without our knowledge while they are under the sink.

I rarely have drain clogs anymore, and I have a very simple routine. All that I do is every couple of months when I change the baking soda boxes in the fridge and freezer, I put about half of a box in each drain with just a little bit of white vinegar and let it "bubble out" and then rinse by running a bit of hot water through the drain. An ounce of prevention....

Also, about every other week, I clean my coffee pot by running first a pot of clear water with about 1/4 cup of white vinegar in it through the pot, and then running a pot of clear water. When they are done, I of course pour the nearly boiling water down the sink.

Between these two things, which I do as off shoots of other neccesary household chores, my drains stay "clean as a whistle" with no problems!

Good luck! :)

You might like to try putting your coffee grounds down the drain.The grounds deodorize and the roughness keeps the drains free of grease.Be sure to rinse them down the drain.

Coffee grounds should NOT be put down the drain-will clog it!

I have a mechanical way to clear a clog. Undo and straighten a metal clothes hanger out to make it a long straight wire. Stick it down the drain and move it around. (It will be too long to go down all the way.) Run water while you do this. clear! A little trickier but works even on the drains that have the permanent stopper that is like a metal plug.

Hair Clogging Drain
Preventing Clogged Drains
Home and Garden Cleaning KitchenMay 27, 2008
laundry room with utility sink, washer, and dryer
Making a Lint Trap for a Washtub Drain
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Dirty drip pan and stove top.
Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean
kitchen drain
Gurgling Drains
🎉
🎄