Protecting Shirt When Coloring Hair

When coloring my hair I usually use an old towel clipped tight around my neck to keep the color from my shirt. I am a retired beautician and have the plastic apron but they get hot. Here is what I came up with that is way more comfortable and saves a towel.

Take an old t-shirt, lay it out flat and cut it out like a dickey only longer. I will make my next one the full length of the t-shirt so I can tuck it in the waist of my pants when I go to wash the color out. This one I had to clip to my shirt which worked OK.

Slit the 'dickey' up the back so you can overlap the two edges to adjust to your neck. Place a clip on your shoulder out of the way. Much more comfortable than that tight clip at your neck or that plastic band and you can throw it away or wash it reuse.

Of course you want to cut up the rest of the t-shirt for rags, lint free dust rags. The sleeve fits tight over a broom for gathering cobwebs.

By Latrtatr from Loup City, NE

Must one wear a shirt while doing that?

I just wear an old black t-shirt when I color my hair. Simple!

I kept an old t-shirt my husband was going to throw away. I just keep it in the bathroom cabinet and use it only for coloring my hair. It was once just a light colored t-shirt. After many years it has lots of different shades of hair colorings on it now. Kind of reminds me of the smock I use for painting. A work of art on it's own!