Eating The Greens On Broccoli

Can you eat broccoli greens, cauliflower greens, and the outer large leaves of cabbage? Has anyone done this and lived to tell?

Joanna from Eastern Montana

It's ok to eat the greens on these veggies. They might be a little tough, but surely there is a way to cook them to where they might be palatable. Any suggestions?

Huh, interesting. My grandpa always told me they were bitter. Never tried them and googling didn't bring up much. If your really interested, I'd try a few vegitarian and vegan cookbooks... maybe they have something. I may poke around now, to try them. Usually that part of the plant goes to the chickens :)

Perhaps you could cook and puree them, then make it into soup. Mix it with some potato chunks and make a cream sauce. I never tried it, but if they are only tough that would take care of that.

Yes, they're edible and have been eaten by many. I'd stick to organic because of all the xxxcides used on non-organic veggies, and be aware their taste is a bit stronger because they are more nutritious than the rest of the plant. Bon appetit!

Petra

I have never eaten the greens, but believe most people miss the most nuitricious part of the veggie...the stocks!

I shred them both and add to my cabbage to make slaw! I also freeze them to add to stew.

They are both yummy.

Here's my recipe for the coleslaw mix.

Equal parts milk and mayo. Mix well, ad 1T. vinegar, and then add sugar till it's the sweetness you like.

Some people like to shred carrots and add raisins, too.

Back before my teeth became so fragile I used to eat all the parts of the broccoli. I would cut the florets for stir-fry, then to keep the smells of dinner from making me too hungry I would peel the tough skin off the stalks and eat them raw like celery, sometimes with ranch dressing. I would also put the whole leaves into the stir fry; they are a bit bitter by themselves but they seem to add another dimension to the stir fry. Bon appetit!

Thank you folks! I will try. The veg is from our own garden and the leaves on some of the cauliflower are absolutley huge! Then of course the leaves on the red and green cabbage and broccoli! Will try and cook them down and get creative. Freezing helps tame veg some too. I just didn't know if it was done - anywhere. Thanks, oh, - this is probably pushing the envelope, but what about squash leaves?

Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesAugust 6, 2008
Collard Greens
Canning Collard Greens
Two heads of broccoli.
Saving Money on Broccoli
Frozen broccoli pieces on a plate.
Freezing Broccoli
Growing Broccoli, Storing Broccoli, Canning Broccoli
Growing Broccoli
🎉
🎄