Converted Coffee Table Display Case

My husband converted a damaged coffee table into a display case and it is now my favorite piece of furniture. You need a coffee table that has a drawer in it as you need a table with a top piece and a bottom piece.

My table already had a recessed area to slide the glass into but if yours doesn't there are other ways to attach a piece of glass, such as using mirror clips on the underside of the top piece. It is hard to give directions for all the different types of tables, but I can give general directions and they would need to be modified for each type of table.

We started with removing the top piece of the coffee table, and removing the insert. We then had a piece of glass cut to fit into the space and we were ready to go. We removed the drawer in the center and took the drawer front off. Reattach the drawer front with hinges to give access to the display case. While the top was off, I lined the inside with some soft fabric in a light brown color which I glued down with spray adhesive. I then added a trim around the edges to cover the raw edges of the fabric.

We reattached the top of the table and now have a display case for collectibles. If your table does not have a recessed area on top, you can cut a hole in the center and use a small molding to cover the cut on top, and use the mirror clips to hold the glass in from the bottom. These are general directions and hopefully the pictures will give a better idea of how to do this.

By Susan

Wow! How creative! I was looking for a creative way to display momentos from our wedding- this is perfect! I will now be hunting yard sales and thrift stores for a similar coffee table. Thanks! :)