Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Dye Transfer on Colored Clothing

I have a black and white sweater that I washed with a red tank top and now the white on my sweater is pink. Please help! How do I get it out?

By Lisa from Lubbock, TX

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By chan.kelly@hotmail.co.ukulele10/11/2013

I put my black jeans in with my blue jeans. Now they've got black marks on. I've just used a color run. Will it work or make them look washed out now?

By jean leiner [12]01/31/2011

Try washing it by itself with a Shout Color Catcher sheet, which I think is what Beesugarpie is referring to. This is one product that really works. At least it has for me.

By Barb Kominek [2]01/31/2011

There is a product called color out or something to that effect. I can't remember the exact name but it is usually located by the bleaches or color dyes in stores. I know Jo-ann fabrics has it and i have also see it at Walmart and Hyvee grocery. It is supposed to fix the problems you have all described, hope it works, good luck to all!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Remove Bled Color Without Losing Original Color

How do I take color that bled from fabric sewn onto a towel off the towel, but not take the color out of the material it belongs on? My husband decided to help with the laundry and washed two new fancy dishtowels together. The color bled onto the cotton backing. We are talking red, orange, yellow, and green.

I want to take the color off the backing, but not off of where it belongs. Can I use the removers for dye or will it also remove the color from the original fabric which is still attached? Help. Mom doesn't know what has happened to her gift yet, I don't think. If she did see it, I'd like her to see that it was repaired and not destroyed. Thanks.

Sniffles from Omaha, NE

RE: Remove Bled Color Without Losing Original Color

Try Oxy Clean. It usually works for me. Just follow the directions on jar. (09/21/2007)

By Madeline

Archive: Removing Dye Transfer on Colored Clothing

I have a blouse that is 100% ramie. The instructions were to machine wash, but I chose to hand wash. The fabric is white background with a print of black, tones of green and brown, beige etc. I used some Spray and Wash (or similar product), because it had a food stain. In some places the black has run, not all. Is there any way to get the bleeding out? I would really appreciate some help since, I really love this top. Thanks.

Roz

I washed my husband's blue shorts with a new red shirt of his, in cold water. The blue shorts which have been washed once before bled into the red shirt. The red shirt now has blue spots on it. How can I remove this mess?

By antyh

RE: Removing Dye Transfer on Colored Clothing

Since it is spotted instead of completely one solid dye gaffe, probably nothing will get it all the same color, ever. Your best shot: To find the clothing dye in your nearest grocer or craft store. Wal-Mart carries their clothing dye next to their laundry detergent. In amongst their laundry dye is a dye removal package. Use that first. If the resulting color is not pleasing, but uniform (it will probably be a uniform pink), then re-dye it the red color. Problem solved.

If it is not uniform, then re-dye it a blue color. If this looks more uniform, either leave it this purple tone or dye it yet again with a red dye. This should end up a tolerable color of purple-ish red. At this point, if nothing seemed to work, dye it black. Repetitively. The first should work. (06/15/2009)

By DragonSlaveII

I washed colored laundry and had a blue towel in with them. Now all my colored laundry has blue spots on them. My children wear these clothes a lot. How can I get the blue dye out of my colored clothes?

By happygirl0923 from Lawrenceburg, KY

You might try Rit dye remover. I had a pair of tan pants which were part of my work outfit, and got ink all over them from a ball point pen which smudged and ran. I used the Rit dye remover, thinking I had nothing to lose, and it turned the pants purple as it removed the ink, but when they were finished with the wash cycle (did it in washer according to washer directions), the pants were tan again, and the ink was gone. (08/17/2009)

By PIKKA

I tried cleaning a food spot from an expensive cotton sweatshirt, which is dark blue with a wide yellow stripe. The spot was on the yellow stripe, which has a dark blue backing. The blue bled onto the yellow. Washing instructions say the shirt can be washed in cold water and dried flat. Does anyone have any idea how I can remove the stain? Thank you.

By Evie Mae from Sunnyvale, CA

***

*** I hand washed a beige silk-blend sweater that has red and green florets and of course, the red bled onto the sweater. Is Rit Dye Remover good for spot cleaning?

By Kate from Euclid, OH

I handwashed a bright multi-colored striped swimsuit with mild liquid soap, and the color from the stripes bled into each other, particularly into the white striping. Can this be removed? I saw where you suggested to use Shout Color Catchers with other items or Brite White, but would this work on a swimsuit?

By Kim from Iron City, GA

If all else fails, try machine washing it. I hand washed a red and white striped top and the color bled terribly, but it came out great when I used the washer. Apparently, all the excess red color washed out. Please try all the other hints you get first, though! (06/06/2010)

By straightace

I have a red garment which had blue colour run onto it. I need advice as to how to get rid of this blue colour? Regards.

By Maura from Malta

I have a black and white cow print jacket made out of cotton. I washed it with sweatshirts that I've washed a lot. One was light pink. It faded on the jacket. How do I get the pink out?

By Norma from Stockbridge, GA

Try washing the jacket by itself with a Shout Color Catcher Sheet, which is what suescats was referring to, I think. This is one product that really works well. At least it did for me under similar circumstances. (12/31/2010)

By Omanana