Removing Tar from Cat's Fur

My cat is very old and she somehow managed to get tar on her back legs, I think she has it on her mouth. She's very hard to get a hold of for very long, so I need to know the best way to get the tar out without making her sick. She is eating and drinking, but she is having problems chewing. I need help ASAP.Thank you.

Trim what you can, and use something like vegetable or mineral oil on her fur and see if you can't get it to slide off the hairs. Or shave her carefully after trimming.

I don't know if it will work on tar, but animal rescue groups use Dawn dish detergent to wash the goo out of the birds feathers, when there has been an oil spill. It worked pretty well when one of my cats got into diesel fuel!

Pets CatsAugust 30, 2009
Photo of spring cleaning supplies.
Cleaning Tar Off Vinyl
A cat with grease in its fur getting a bath.
Removing Grease from a Cat's Fur
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants. Baseball Player with Bat on White Background
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants
Removing Tar from Clothing, Removing Tar from Upholstery, Removing Tar from Aluminum Siding
Removing Tar from Aluminum Siding