Training AdviceDogs

Finding a Muzzle for a St. Bernard

I have a very large St. Bernard dog who will at times be unpleasant. I am looking to find a muzzle to fit him; he is too big for any that I can find in any store.

If you know where I can get one to fit him I would be grateful. He is as I said very big around his mouth, he is 18 inches. His neck is 30+ inches. So if you can help with suggestions, I would be thankful.

By Ronald from Harlow, UK

Why don't you make one? Search for patterns for St Bernard. Lot of pictures there, good luck.

I saw a vet muzzel a dog once by tying a piece of rope around its mouth then behind the ears then around the neck. It probably was just for a short time but you might get a vet to show you. However, since this is such a large dog I think training by a professional might be in order.

I agree: looks like you, or someone who has the ability if you don't, is going to have to custom-make this big fellow a muzzle.

You might want to locate a pattern for a muzzle and simply "supersize" it. Or, if you can, buy a smaller muzzle and use it as a pattern.

Big dogs are great - but you're a really special person if you can handle one!

Help! Any luck on that muzzle? I in your shoes with a growing 140 pound male saint. I really didn't know it was common for saints to be protective. And wow! I feel bad for the person who walks up to us. I cant leave the yard with him and have to lock him up when someone comes over. Any suggestion?