Removing Dark Stains from Cotton Sweater

I have a white cotton sweater that must be laid flat to dry. I was searching for a place to lay it and the top of my wicker laundry hamper seemed a perfect spot. Unfortunately, the hamper is darkly stained and that stain is apparently not water proof.

When I picked up my now dry sweater, there were dark streaks all over it from the hamper. I have no clue what kind of stain it is. Is my sweater ruined? I'm soaking it in Biz, and then I figured I'd try soaking it in OxyClean, but I really don't have high hopes for either.

By Ratatosk from Galion, OH

Maybe try giving your sweater a new look if your stain removal doesn't work. Dying it a similar color to the stain would give you a like new sweater, and it could be fun to have a newish piece of clothing to wear (I never had luck with white clothes myself, keeping them white!). Have fun and good luck!

Thanks. I had that thought actually, but I really liked this sweater and it's practically new. After the previously mentioned soaking, plus a soaking in simple green, most of the stains are out, but there are two stubborn spots that refuse to budge, so I'm still looking for ideas. Thanks!

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsDecember 27, 2009
Grape juice that is splashing out of the cup.
Removing Grape Juice Stains from a Tablecloth
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
Removing Permanent Marker from Hair
Flair Pen on Cotton Clothing
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing