My Frugal Life: Reuse Creatively

contest winner icon

Creativity is important to living frugally. Before you go out and buy something, ask yourself "What can I use that I already have?",My Frugal Life "What do I have that needs to be used up?", and "What can I make out of what I have?" You may find that you are very resourceful and find new uses for stuff that is just gathering dust.

For example, I used an old washtub on a tire rim for a fire-pit; a plastic bin became a cat-carrier, with air holes cut into it; a plastic dishpan or old loaf pans became pull-out cupboard and drawer organizers - I use one for spices, one for medications, one for onions, and so on; a big canning pot became a covered recycling bin for plastic bags; and a plastic clip became a way to keep reusable zip-lock bags together in a drawer.

Once you get into this habit, you will even surprise yourself at what you can come up with instead of going out and buying something.

By kemperjl from Gilbertsville, NY

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Wait...aren't you the same poster who lambasted me for suggesting you reuse fabric to wrap gifts? I don't get it - didn't you tell me that reusing the material would be "unbelievably tacky" and suggest I go to the dollar store to buy new wrapping paper?

Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeApril 5, 2011
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Felt covered bottle cap becomes Easter bonnet.
Craft Uses for Plastic Bottle Caps
disposable razor
Uses for Disposable Razors
Two Forks on White Background
Uses for Old Forks
🎉
🎄