Making a Table From An Old Door and Decorated Tiles

I would like to make a table from an old door and decorated tiles. Anyone ever done this? What did you use for the legs?

Judy from Charlotte, NC

I have done a couple of tables from old doors - a lot depends on what you are using the table for. For a desk, I have used file cabinets on either side to support the door - and just put that rubber grippy stuff in between to keep it from sliding. I have left the hole where the doorknob was open to drop my computer cables down through.

For a more decorative table, I have used legs taken off an old dining room table - they were wrought iron and I just screwed them into the door from underneath.

Depending on the size and weight of the door, you can also buy table legs already made up at the hardware store - just screw them in.

I have also seen people use those plant pedestals - the heavy plaster ones - you just have to get the right height for what you are using the table for (eating, accent, work table, etc..)

have fun and enjoy!

I know that IKEA sells several kinds of table legs so you might try there. Good luck, Lisa

Hi ..lowes [probably home depot] has table legs you can buy, or wood legs, or wood post type [they will cut for you when you know length & ask nicely]. they also have these metal attachment things in the same section to put on the bottom of the table and attach with screws, then attach legs. optionally, my dad used to use concrete blocks, or bricks, stacked, and you could paint those? along the idea of the tile cabinets, you could find short bookcases, and have space then for storage at the ends of the table.

check to see if you have to seal the door prior to putting on tile adhesive, or be sure your adhesive is good for wood underlayment. this sounds cool! great idea ! patti

Hi Judy,

One of my all-time favorite library books, titled, "Decorating On A Mini-Budget", pictured a table made from a door. I remember the illustration showing spindle-type legs, such as on a piano bench. Look for a size that would be supportive.

Crafts OtherNovember 21, 2007
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Oven Door Towel
Making an Oven Door Towel
Ceramic Floor Tile
Fixing Cracks in Ceramic Floor Tile
White changing table with drawers below.
Uses for a Baby Changing Table
🎉
🎄