Personalized Fortunes in Fortune Cookies

This would be perfect for Valentines Day treats whether for your partner, family, friends, or neighbors.

I heard the idea about replacing fortune cookie fortunes with your own fortune and decided to investigate online how to do it. I was really skeptical about whether all of the ideas were really workable so I purchased a box of LaChoy fortune cookies and proceeded to test.

Well, turned out that trying to pull the original fortune out with tweezers wouldn't work because the hole wasn't large enough and the tweezers broke the cookies. I tried two other ideas I read online to soften the cookie by steaming or microwaving but alas those ideas didn't work either and there was no way to pull out the original fortune.

Well, not one to give up, I went to the Chinese restaurant down the street and explained what I was trying to do and they donated a few to me. Guess what? The holes in theirs were large enough to pull the fortune out with tweezers! I proceeded to make my own fortunes appropriate for who I am giving them to for Valentines Day and folded them and placed them inside the cookies using the tweezers.

Of course, it's not Valentine's Day yet but I am sure they'll be a hit ;-)

By Deeli from Richland, WA

I did this to tell my parents and in-laws that we were expecting our first child! It was a huge hit. We took them out to eat at a Chinese restaurant & then had the waiter bring the fortune cookies that I had put "we are having a baby!" inside.

What a sweet idea, literally! If you wanted, I'd imagine you could even get the recipe for fortune cookies online (most recipe sites should have it) and make the cookies, too.

It's easy to make fortune cookies! I made them for my wedding six years ago. I made two batches -- one traditional almond flavor, and one chocolate (Martha Stewart's recipes.) Then I cut circles of the diameter I wanted out of thin craft foam sheets. Using the foam sheet as a template, I spread the batter with a metal spatula to get an even thickness. Only bake a few at at time so that you have time to shape them, inserting fortunes, before they cool. You may want to wear gloves to do this. I printed out our favorite verses and put one in each cookie, along with our names and the date. I put one almond cookie and one chocolate cookie in a small chinese takeout carton (that I had covered in toile), to which I attached a streamer with the guest's name as a place card. It was a fun project (depending on your nerves the week of your wedding!) and a memorable favor!

Frugal Valentine's Day Gifts, Saving Money on Valentine's Day
Frugal Valentine's Day Gifts
Holidays and Parties Valentine's Day GiftsFebruary 2, 2010
bride and groom cookies
Buying Personalized Wedding Favors
personalized coffee mugs
Making Personalized Mugs
Making Paper Fortune Cookies
Making Paper Fortune Cookies
Keeping Homemade Cookies Fresh
Keeping Homemade Cookies Fresh
🎄