Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Fabric Softener Stains on Clothing

How do you remove a dark color that bled through to a lighter color? I had softener show up on a light pair of pants. I tried to use Color Run. The softener did not come out. (Color Run has changed. In addition to taking out colors that run it also lightens the color of the fabric.)

By Georgia

By Grandma J [46]08/03/2010

Use a dandruff shampoo and rub it in, wash. Do not dry in dryer. It sets the stains to make it difficult or impossible to undo.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Fabric Softener Stains on Clothing

I wear scrubs daily, and noticed for quite a while now that I have spots on them from my liquid fabric softener. Any suggestions to get rid of them, or preventing them in the future for other clothing? I use Downey.

Daphna from Alachua

RE: Fabric Softener Stains on Clothing

Try to find dye-free liquid softener, Downy may have one. Or there's always dryer sheets, I know they make dye and scent-free in those. (03/13/2008)

By thriftmeg

RE: Fabric Softener Stains on Clothing

RE: Fabric Softener Stains on Clothing

Take a look at some of the other postings for store bought and homemade fabric softeners, mainly those using white vinegar. White vinegar is good for so many things, other than food. To get rid of any "spots" on your clothes, due to fabric softener, salad dressing (oil based), sweat etc., either use white vinegar in place of fabric softener in the dispenser or just add some white vinegar to the wash cycle with the detergent, maybe 1/2 to 1 cup will do the job. I've used it like that and it works. (04/12/2008)

By Corine

RE: Fabric Softener Stains on Clothing

I always use vinegar as a softener on dark fabrics, as well as anything I want to remain absorbent such as towels, cleaning rags, and bathroom rugs. I add about 1/2 cup to the rinse cycle. Works like a charm. (05/24/2008)

By Eedith51

RE: Fabric Softener Stains on Clothing

RE: Fabric Softener Stains on Clothing

"Try to find dye-free liquid softener, Downy may have one. Or there's always dryer sheets, I know they make dye and scent-free in those."

I use Downy Free and Sensitive and have these spots. I haven't reached any conclusions on dryer sheets yet, though I have read several posts by other people that say the sheets can also cause spots. (10/23/2008)

By Nameless Blameless