Recycled Paper Pottery
Looking for something to do with junk mail from your grocer or old magazine pages? Make "Paper Pottery"! Colorful vases, bowls, plates, and more can be made with different themes using old maps, books, colors, invitations, holiday cards, etc. Make folded long strips of paper then roll them into shape.
Approximate Time: Small vase: a few hours. A large pot or bowl: can take days
- glossy paper you wish to recycle (from books, magazines, maps, brochures, junk mail, etc.)
- transparent tape
- optional: clear drying craft glue, water, and paint brush
- Cut or tear old magazine pages or any other glossy or shiny paper you wish to recycle into long strips.
- Fold the strips lengthwise one or two times, in half or thirds, to create a long strip with a folded edge.
- Choose a shape for the base of your project: square, rectangular, circular, star, oval, diamond, whatever, and fold or roll the first paper strip into that shape. Secure the end with tape.
- Tape the next strip to the first one, making sure the folded edge faces the same way.
- Roll it around the base and repeat until you have the size and shape you want!
- After the base is formed, overlap the next strip so about 1/4 of it extends above the prior row.
- You can add tape on the inside for strength and stability as you work.
- Optionally, paint the entire project with clear-drying craft glue that has been diluted with water to "seal" it when it dries!
By Casey from Milwaukee, WI
May 17, 20110 found this helpful
This is cute! I feel like I've seen a similar project in a book, but I don't remember which one (maybe an American Girl book?). Thanks for sharing!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on October 18, 2016 at 12:56:31 PM on 10.0.2.78 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us