Cleaning a Birdbath

I have a birdbath that I love, but due to some other circumstances, it's been sitting in the garden, dirty and attracting nothing, but flies, I'll bet. I thought bleach would work, but someone told me that even the tiniest bit of bleach can hurt animals. Does anyone have a nice and healthy way to clean a bird bath? I love to see them and miss their little bird bodies bathing!

By metroplex from Houston, TX

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

I think a little bleach is fine, as you will be rinsing it out and the bleach evaporates anyway. Just keep a scrub brush handy. I hide one behind some plants, and keep it brushed every few days.

I wouldn't use the bleach, I don't think. For my birdbath, I just keep a brush handy that's made for cleaning barbecue grills and this does the trick. I change and refill the water sometimes several times a day in hot weather and depending on how many customers I have bathing, etc. I scrub the bath out every other day or so, whenever it needs it. It's really pretty easy to keep clean if you stay on it and the birds just love it so much. :-)

I was told to use one of the laundry spot removers like Oxyclean or something similar. This product is mostly hydrogen peroxide and will not harm the birds if used properly.

Add the oxyclean and water to the bath, let it set for a few minutes, making sure no birds drink while the solution does its work. Then rinse well and refill.

Hello,

Please go to Birds and Blooms.com. That is a wonderful site that can answer all or any of your questions. Good luck.

If it is really dirty,j ust scrub with hot water and a little dish soap. Just be sure to rinse very well. You can also soak with white vinegar and water. That will kill algae and will not harm wild life. I use white vinegar to clean my hummingbird and oriole feeders, too.

Bird sitting on a bird bath.
Cleaning a Birdbath
Better Living Green Living WildlifeJune 18, 2010
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Linoleum Floors
Homemade Birdbath Ideas
Homemade Birdbath Ideas
frying pan birdbath
Making a Birdbath from a Frying Pan
Uses for an Old Birdbath
Uses for an Old Birdbath
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 10:52:34 AM on 10.0.0.96 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.