Patio and DeckingHome Improvement

Solution for Ice on a Deck

What can I use to prevent slipping on ice on my deck. I have heard that salt is harmful to carpets, if you carry it back into the house on your shoes. I want to also use something that is safe for animals (just in case they should eat it).

Thanks for any replies.

P.J. from Delaware

I have not tried this but have heard that cat litter will work...would like to know if anyone has tried this. I do know its a good idea to keep some in the trunk of the car incase you get stuck on ice ..sprinkle some around the tires an you will get some traction.

Hi, I've heard of using cat litter....it should be safe for the animals! Hope it works for you.

There is an ice melting pet safe salt sold in pet stores and some supermarkets not sure name think something

like saf t-paws.

Sand works fine, but it's a little messy if people/pets track it into the house.

Salt of any kind, rock salt, or kitty litter.

Cornmeal works and it will not hurt your carpet and is safe for any animals that may eat it.

You can use clay cat litter.

You could use chicken grit, which is basically very small pieces of gravel. It is not expensive and can be purchased in feed stores. The only disadvantage I can think of for using it is that it needs to be swept up at the end of the season. I've used it for the last three winters and have been really pleased with the results on both snow and ice.

truerblue

cracked corn works good, and the birds love it after the snow melts off. You can get it at feed stores.