Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Freezing Uncooked Oatmeal

Can you freeze dry oatmeal?

By Barbara from Chesapeake, VA

Best Answers

These answers have been rated the best for this question.

By Poca [1]01/27/2010

Yes, you can freeze uncooked oatmeal to extend shelf life. I do it all the time. I put it in a Ziploc gallon bag and put in freezer but when I want to use some or it, I bring to room temp first.

By Sharon [9]01/26/2010

I always freeze my oatmeal and any other grain product. It kills eggs of those bugs that are found in all grains. Storing the grains and flour products in the freezer if you don't expect to use it all with in the dates suggested will make it stay fresh longer.

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By christine lauderback [5]11/05/2010

I even freeze jello pudding, chili mix, taco sauce, anything basically. I don't have luck with cream cheese.

By Vi Johnson [231]11/05/2010

Yes, you can. We have been getting "The Treasure Box" and they have all the food frozen.
Oats, pasta, rice, beans, cereal, flour, sugar, meats, breakfast wraps and even catsup, squeeze bottles of jelly, syrup and Girl Scout cookies all in their original packages.

And I also buy shredded cheddar cheese in 5lb size at Costco, divide it into several freezer zip lock bags. And thaw it in the fridge. It is just fine for salad,soup, taco topping or use in cooking. I just used some for Sausage Cheese Balls and they were great. I freeze bags of walnuts ,almonds and pecans. Also we brought back from AR. Amish sliced American and Cheddar Cheese in a cooler with ice packs (5-1/2 lbs). And after getting home placed half in the freezer. Not one slice was spoiled. Made wonderful grilled cheese sandwiches.
Best tasting cheese I've had since I was a child. GG Vi

By christine M. Thayer [2]11/04/2010

By all means, you can freeze grains, nuts, flour, sugar, and many things that can be used in foods or for cooking. The only thing I've found is that cheese products don't freeze well, unless you are using them in something that's going to be cooked. Like I buy and freeze cream cheese for cheesecake, on sale, then when I want to make the cheesecakes, I just thaw them out and make as normal.

By motheroflittle11/04/2010

Yes, I buy old fashioned oats( 6 grain blend) in 50 lb bags from Honeyville grains. They only charge 4.99 for shipping no matter how much you order. I also buy 50 lb bags of whole wheat berries for flour from them . I store it all in large zipp bags in my big freezer. I also have a 50 lb bag of white rice saved in there. I've never had a problem with any of it. Its as fresh as the day I stored it. Bulk buying really saves me a lot money too .

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Freezing Uncooked Oatmeal

Can you freeze uncooked oatmeal to extend shelf life?

By Martha from Dayton, OH

RE: Freezing Uncooked Oatmeal

I always freeze my oatmeal and any other grain product. It kills eggs of those bugs that are found in all grains. Storing the grains and flour products in the freezer if you don't expect to use it all with in the dates suggested will make it stay fresh longer. (01/26/2010)

By deebomb

RE: Freezing Uncooked Oatmeal

I freeze all grains, dried beans, everything like that, and that lady is right, it does kill the bug eggs. (01/27/2010)

By c t

RE: Freezing Uncooked Oatmeal

Yes, you can freeze uncooked oatmeal to extend shelf life. I do it all the time. I put it in a Zip loc gallon bag and put in the freezer, but when I want to use some or it, I bring to room temp first. (01/27/2010)

By Indianone

RE: Freezing Uncooked Oatmeal

Yes. I just learned this from my sister recently. Keep it in a glass container. (01/28/2010)

By jwmn