Dog Seems Depressed

My 3-year-old, un-spayed blue Weimaraner is the best dog. She loves to play and loves to eat, but sometimes, for no reason, she will go lie in her crate, looking absolutely sad and depressed, like the last rose of summer. Anyone else have a Weim who looks and acts depressed on occasion?

By Brooke from CA

I would give her a better brand of food, with beef as the first or second ingredient or at least before the fourth ingredient, research dog food and nutrition, and make sure she is getting fish oil pills or some sort of fish oil supplement. Most of oils in dog food are not able to be used by the body as well as oils that have not been cooked in,.the quickest thing to do to make the dog feel better is to have it wormed and get a vitamin to give the doggie.

Hope your doggie feels better, and check out and also for doggie advice of every kind. I dont have a weimer but I have seen cats get much more happy after they have been wormed for roundworms, also a new food brings new energy if it is free of by products in the first four ingredients.

I would also look at her eyes and ears and watch her stools to make sure things are going well for her in those areas too.

Sometimes what seems like depression can actually be a medical problem such as anemia. You may want to take her to the vet to be evaluated. My neighbor's dog got really "depressed" and it turned out that she had become severely anemic after getting into a neighbors compost pile and eating onions. Onions cause a fatal anemia in dogs. Thank goodness she was fine after being treated, but luckily her mom took her to the vet to be checked out. If she hadn't the dog probably would have died.

I have a Chihuahua that sometimes does the same thing, and I recently discovered that Chihuahuas often have low blood sugar. She sees the vet regularly now. I would suggest doing a thorough search the breed of your dog to see if this is common, and definitely consult your vet. Good luck!

My vet had informed me that when dogs get depressed it can be associated with pain and sometimes stomach problems.

Hello, please take her to the vet. Have some labs done and then have her spay! Good luck.

September 25, 2010 Flag

I have an 11 month old Shih-Tzu. She is very loving, but she was so attached I could not go more than 3 yards away from her before she started to get upset and started to yap. I gradually started to draw back from her and leave her with my husband sometimes when I went out. Now she does not mind me going out on my own.

She seemed depressed so I got a 2 year old rescue Shih-Tzu. They are very happy with each other, but she is still depressed. The new dog is more playful than her so he wants to play more. What else can I do to make my little girl happy? I try very hard not to spoil her so she does not think I am encouraging this behavior. She is also very hard to feed, she is a little anorexic. I am really worried about her and my vet cannot find anything wrong. Please help.

By jetta23 from Wigan, England

Dog Seems Depressed

I'm wondering how you have determined she's depressed. Does you veterinarian think she's depressed? I have 2 dogs and one is the most hyper, playful dog I've ever seen and the other just has spurts of playfulness and is never as bouncy as the other. I think it's just a difference in personalities, like with people. Could your dog just be more laid back?
What do you mean, she's hard to feed? More information is needed to give much of an answer to that one. Does she not like her food? Does she not eat as much as you think she should? Is she underweight? More info. please. (12/30/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Dog Seems Depressed

Maybe she's just bored. Do you walk her? Does she have interesting things to play with (besides the other dog)? How about those toys that you hide treats in and the dog has to work to get them out? Perhaps she would enjoy agility courses. Maybe she wants some special time alone with just you. She might be very intelligent and simply craves intellectual stimulation! (12/31/2009)

By ahastings7878

Dog Seems Depressed

Pets are amazingly like children.When a child is obviously withdrawn, the best thing to do is dedicate a certain part of your day exclusively to them, to encourage, listen, snuggle, and share. The extra nurturing will eventually build confidence in the child. Same with your puppy. Obviously, she was extremely sensitive and insecure; she required your presence as reassurance. Now, even though you meant well, you have denied her that total access to you. She may have adjusted somewhat to that, then you bring in yet another block to yours and her intimate one on one she requires. She is feeling unwanted, probably. Spend more one on one with her and let her know she is still your baby, all the way. (01/01/2010)

By dollyslaffn

Dog Seems Depressed

More exercise. (01/01/2010)

By muttmom

Pets Dogs HealthSeptember 25, 2010
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
Saving Money on Health Insurance, Health Insurance Paperwork
Saving Money on Health Insurance
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Zucchini Bread Recipes
Zucchini Bread Recipes