Cleaning Spills on a Smooth Top Stove

While there may be no more grates, elements, or drip pans to clean, food still gets on your smooth top stove. Once it dries or cooks on, these spills can be difficult to remove without damaging the surface. This is a guide about cleaning spills on a smooth top stove.

June 1, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about cleaning burnt sugar on a smooth top stove. Boiled over sugary foods can be difficult to clean off your smooth top stove.

Glass top stove covered in white powder

September 12, 2013 Flag

I've owned a smoothtop stove for some six years or so and I've made many attempts at cleaning up my "muck ups".

For average problems, there are many solutions out there. But for those very bad mistakes there are very few - if any - good solutions. I've tried almost everything. The scraping is tedious and doesn't always (or very seldom) works.

First try baking soda with a little water. It's cheap and abrasive but doesn't scratch. Cleaners like Barkeeper's Friend are abrasive but have about the same effect as baking soda. Glass cleaner is good for mild problems, just let it soak.

I'm gonna try the oven cleaner but be careful. I've been to different web sites and they have no comments on it's effectiveness.

Glasstops - a solution or a problem? Are you perfect? Then they are a solution. You aren't perfect? - then they are no better than a regular electric stove.

When my panties no longer fit, I offered them to Goodwill and my children, but no one wanted them. Being of an older generation that didn't waste things, I just let them sit in the hamper. Then inspiration hit. The rough texture was perfect for cleaning my smooth stovetop without abrasive cleansers. Since they were already moist, water isn't even needed but if yours are dry, a few drops of water helps. I feel good because I saved money and the Earth at the same time. Now my kids think Grandma is a genius!

The Mr Clean earser works wonderful on a smooth top stove.

Baking soda dries in white swirls that take forever to mop up; I will never use it again. On my glass cooktop, I merely pour water on, sometimes with dish liquid, let soak, then use my handy razor blade that I keep there for that purpose. I also have a plastic scraper. I use a cloth to mop everything up. Occasionally I use a small amount of cream cleaner product sold for this task.

I've tried a number of things and the best and easiest thing I've found is baking soda contrary to what another person said. If the service is dirty and not cleaned up perfectly before putting another pot on it's much harder to clean up. I'll never have another cook top like this. Only reason I have it now is because it's in the house I bought and too new to replace. Hate the thing.

I am of the older (much older) generation and do no take too well to change, but I love my smooth top stove. You have to clean up spills as soon as they cool off and I find that good old baking soda and water does the best job. If the spill is really bad, I soak a cloth in b.s. and water and leave it on overnight. It always seems to work. I would never go back to the old drip pans!

When I have a spill that regular cleaner won't remove I use a razor blade, very carefully. So far after 3 years it has not caused any problems.

My stovetop is black and unforgiving. When it's cooled down I spray lightly with Simple Orange, let it sit for a couple of minutes, then scrub with a glasstop scrubber I got at Ace. Wipe off with clean damp dishcloth and dry with one of those cloths made to clean glass. For real crud I use Earth Brite, a paste I got from QVC (I think) and/or good old razor blade.

It's still sparkles after a year.

Goof Off

Goof Off

May 7, 2004 Flag

When cleaning a very bad spill (from boiled over sugar to spilled baked beans) off of a flat top stove do not invest in the very expensive cleaners made for these stoves, they do not work. Spray on a little oven cleaner, turn on the burner for a few seconds, let cool and then wipe clean. By Traci in Indiana

November 1, 2010 Flag

When cleaning a very bad spill (from boiled over sugar to spilled baked beans) off of a flat top stove do not invest in the very expensive cleaners made for these stoves, they do not work. Spray on a little oven cleaner, turn on the burner for a few seconds, let cool and then wipe clean.

By Traci in Indiana

Answers:

Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I tried it and it worked! I was amazed. Thanks. (05/07/2004)

By Patsy

Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

One thing you need to be careful of is not burning the cleaning product onto the stove top though. (09/21/2004)

By coralee

Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

Just make sure to watch out for fumes. Keep kids and pets (especially birds) out of the house anytime you're heating up oven cleaner. And of course use good ventilation for yourself in the area. (08/02/2005)

By betty123

Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

Hi. Turn the burner on as low as it will go, then scrape with a heat proof spatula. It will take a while. It may take a razor blade or flat knife or scraper to get the last of it off but you will need to heat it up a little so it melts enough that you can get it off.

Susan from ThriftyFun (08/15/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

Well, I own a cleaning company in South Jersey and I must say that with all my experience, I found Soft Scrub with Bleach works best on the flat top stove. Just put on the stained area and let stand for a few moments, then with a soft non scratch sponge rub in small circles, then take a damp cloth and wipe away residue! Worked great for mine! Good luck. (07/06/2006)

By Melissa

Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

The Easy-Off worked great! I had to turn on (let burner warm up) and off, I took a metal spatula and covered it with a damp dish cloth, then scraped the plastic off. Repeated as necessary. About 3-4 for me. I was nervous about letting it get too hot. Thanks so much for the tip! (06/19/2007)

By Sara

Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I tried the oven cleaner and it worked great. Thank you! (09/30/2007)

By Jess

Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I can't believe how many people have had the same problem as I have! In the past, I have only had electric stoves so I have never had this problwm. I love my flat top stove but hate the fact that I can't keep it tidy! I like a clean house and it's driving me crazy. Thanks for the suggestions! I will surely try them! (11/10/2007)

Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I have a friend who was given a specialized razor blade when she purchased her stove, it was from the manufacturer in order to keep it clean. I haven't tried it yet myself. (12/06/2007)

By jess

Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

Before I bought my whirlpool Gold, I asked around and 90% loved them. They mentioned about using the razor blade to clean spills. So I bought one and now regret it. I love the flat surface, but like everyone else, I hate cleaning it. I have 6 cleaning products and a razor and nothing works that great. To make it worse, the afternoon sun shines on it and you can see any streak or spot. I am going to take the suggestion and try the soft scrub with bleach. (07/16/2008)

By Mary

Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I have tried a bunch of methods to clean our Kenmore Elite flat top range but nothing beats the oven cleaner sprayed on top, then heat up for 10-15 seconds and wipe clean with damp cloth before a final regular clean with soap and water once range has cooled down. (08/17/2008)

By Ruhtber Peraza

Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

Thanks for the tip about the oven cleaner! I just got a new stove and had a burned sponge mark. I had tried everything. Easy off worked. Heated it up then wiped off. Thanks. (08/29/2008)

By SHERI

Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I just purchased a black glass stove-top. On the first use, I wiped a small spill with a kitchen towel, melting/burning the towel slightly. It left a foggy streak on the edge of the burner. I was sick to my stomach! I used baking soda and water. It came right off! What a relief! (10/19/2008)

By JasonK

Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

Easy Off has a new glass top cleaner that works very well. It doesn't leave the streaks and smudges that the other cleaners did. I have a GE black surface which has been a pain to clean. I still need the razor for the burnt on stuff. I had a gray glass-top stove in another house that cleaned much easier. (11/19/2008)

By MacMacGA

Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I had the same problem with the top of the stove looking terrible and burnt in. I used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and WOW! The difference was amazing! It took little to no elbow grease and no additional cleaners. I just wet the eraser and wiped and it literally was like new! Good luck to you all. (02/01/2009)

By CJFLL

Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I use the razor and special creme made for the flat tops, but it's not very effective. I found that the magic eraser works pretty well.

NOTE: If you use ceramic pans make sure they are safe for flat tops. My husband and I bought some and thankfully read the "instructions," it says do NOT use on flat tops. (02/22/2009)

By Angie

Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I tried the oven cleaner. Omg, it worked! Thank you so much. I've been struggling with cleaning it for 2 years since we got it. I bought every product they mae for this and still I couldn't get some things off. I'm so excited! (05/04/2010)

By JoAnneK7561

Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

Thank God for Mr. Clean. Ladies, if you're gonna leave your husband for an ugly fat bald man, Mr. Clean is the guy for you! Someone posted to use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean flat top stoves so I tried it. It took a little elbow grease but I got all the burnt on milk, water, oil, and all that other junk off. My stove looks brand new. I love Mr. Clean! (08/11/2010)

By goodys_booger

I'm going to try a heat gun. Melt the syrup to liguid, and wipe off

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesFebruary 8, 2012
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Smooth Stove Top
Cleaning Stains on a Smooth Stove Top
Spilled Milk in kitchen
Preventing Spills in the Kitchen
Glass Top Stove
Removing Burnt Food Stains on a Glass Top Stove
🎉
🎄