Cleaning Spills on a Smooth Top Stove

While there may be no more grates, elements, or drip pans to clean, food still gets on your smooth top stove. Once it dries or cooks on, these spills can be difficult to remove without damaging the surface. This is a guide about cleaning spills on a smooth top stove.

Black smooth top cooking range.
Filter Sort

Tip: Cleaning A Smooth Top Stove Surface

By Snorp 1

I've owned a smoothtop stove for some six years or so and I've made many attempts at cleaning up my "muck ups".

For average problems, there are many solutions out there. But for those very bad mistakes there are very few - if any - good solutions. I've tried almost everything. The scraping is tedious and doesn't always (or very seldom) works.

First try baking soda with a little water. It's cheap and abrasive but doesn't scratch. Cleaners like Barkeeper's Friend are abrasive but have about the same effect as baking soda. Glass cleaner is good for mild problems, just let it soak.

I'm gonna try the oven cleaner but be careful. I've been to different web sites and they have no comments on it's effectiveness.

Glasstops - a solution or a problem? Are you perfect? Then they are a solution. You aren't perfect? - then they are no better than a regular electric stove.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

When cleaning a very bad spill (from boiled over sugar to spilled baked beans) off of a flat top stove do not invest in the very expensive cleaners made for these stoves, they do not work. Spray on a little oven cleaner, turn on the burner for a few seconds, let cool and then wipe clean.

By Traci in Indiana

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

By Amanda Cope 3 19

I have burnt sugar on a smooth top stove. Any suggestions how to remove. Regular stove top cleaner is not helping

Barbara from Columbia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Macie4 20 30 Flag

I discovered in order to clean my glass top stove I use Soft Scrub and an old credit card to scrape the stove. It does not scratch and works like a charm. I keep an old credit card next to my stove for this purpose. Good Luck

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

By Traci in Indiana

Feedback:

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I tried it and it worked! I was amazed. Thanks. (05/07/2004)

By Patsy

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

One thing you need to be careful of is not burning the cleaning product onto the stove top though. (09/21/2004)

By coralee

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

Just make sure to watch out for fumes. Keep kids and pets (especially birds) out of the house anytime you're heating up oven cleaner. And of course use good ventilation for yourself in the area. (08/02/2005)

By betty123

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

Hi. Turn the burner on as low as it will go, then scrape with a heat proof spatula. It will take a while. It may take a razor blade or flat knife or scraper to get the last of it off but you will need to heat it up a little so it melts enough that you can get it off.

Susan from ThriftyFun (08/15/2005)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

Well, I own a cleaning company in South Jersey and I must say that with all my experience, I found Soft Scrub with Bleach works best on the flat top stove. Just put on the stained area and let stand for a few moments, then with a soft non scratch sponge rub in small circles, then take a damp cloth and wipe away residue! Worked great for mine! Good luck. (07/06/2006)

By Melissa

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

The Easy-Off worked great! I had to turn on (let burner warm up) and off, I took a metal spatula and covered it with a damp dish cloth, then scraped the plastic off. Repeated as necessary. About 3-4 for me. I was nervous about letting it get too hot. Thanks so much for the tip! (06/19/2007)

By Sara

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I tried the oven cleaner and it worked great. Thank you! (09/30/2007)

By Jess

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I can't believe how many people have had the same problem as I have! In the past, I have only had electric stoves so I have never had this problwm. I love my flat top stove but hate the fact that I can't keep it tidy! I like a clean house and it's driving me crazy. Thanks for the suggestions! I will surely try them! (11/10/2007)

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I have a friend who was given a specialized razor blade when she purchased her stove, it was from the manufacturer in order to keep it clean. I haven't tried it yet myself. (12/06/2007)

By jess

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

Before I bought my whirlpool Gold, I asked around and 90% loved them. They mentioned about using the razor blade to clean spills. So I bought one and now regret it. I love the flat surface, but like everyone else, I hate cleaning it. I have 6 cleaning products and a razor and nothing works that great. To make it worse, the afternoon sun shines on it and you can see any streak or spot. I am going to take the suggestion and try the soft scrub with bleach. (07/16/2008)

By Mary

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I have tried a bunch of methods to clean our Kenmore Elite flat top range but nothing beats the oven cleaner sprayed on top, then heat up for 10-15 seconds and wipe clean with damp cloth before a final regular clean with soap and water once range has cooled down. (08/17/2008)

By Ruhtber Peraza

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

Thanks for the tip about the oven cleaner! I just got a new stove and had a burned sponge mark. I had tried everything. Easy off worked. Heated it up then wiped off. Thanks. (08/29/2008)

By SHERI

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I just purchased a black glass stove-top. On the first use, I wiped a small spill with a kitchen towel, melting/burning the towel slightly. It left a foggy streak on the edge of the burner. I was sick to my stomach! I used baking soda and water. It came right off! What a relief! (10/19/2008)

By JasonK

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

Easy Off has a new glass top cleaner that works very well. It doesn't leave the streaks and smudges that the other cleaners did. I have a GE black surface which has been a pain to clean. I still need the razor for the burnt on stuff. I had a gray glass-top stove in another house that cleaned much easier. (11/19/2008)

By MacMacGA

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I had the same problem with the top of the stove looking terrible and burnt in. I used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and WOW! The difference was amazing! It took little to no elbow grease and no additional cleaners. I just wet the eraser and wiped and it literally was like new! Good luck to you all. (02/01/2009)

By CJFLL

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I use the razor and special creme made for the flat tops, but it's not very effective. I found that the magic eraser works pretty well.

NOTE: If you use ceramic pans make sure they are safe for flat tops. My husband and I bought some and thankfully read the "instructions," it says do NOT use on flat tops. (02/22/2009)

By Angie

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I tried the oven cleaner. Omg, it worked! Thank you so much. I've been struggling with cleaning it for 2 years since we got it. I bought every product they mae for this and still I couldn't get some things off. I'm so excited! (05/04/2010)

By JoAnneK7561

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

Thank God for Mr. Clean. Ladies, if you're gonna leave your husband for an ugly fat bald man, Mr. Clean is the guy for you! Someone posted to use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean flat top stoves so I tried it. It took a little elbow grease but I got all the burnt on milk, water, oil, and all that other junk off. My stove looks brand new. I love Mr. Clean! (08/11/2010)

By goodys_booger

Archive: Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

I have burnt sugar on a smooth top stove. Any suggestions how to remove it? Regular stove top cleaner

is not helping

Barbara from Columbia

Feedback:

RE: Smooth Stove Top Cleaning

Have you used a flat edged razor to "scrape" it off? Between the cleaner and a flat edged metal spatula I

have I have been able to get it all off of my stove top. Or, if that does not work go back to the

company/store you bought it from or call them and ask them what to do about it.

Could it be plastic that has melted? That can be hard to remove. Scraping is what I have had to do

then.

Be careful that you do not scratch your stove top when cleaning, remember it is glass. My instructions

for my stove top though, did not instruct me to have my burner on when cleaning. Why not try it when the

burners are cold?
    (02/18/2005)

By valleyrimgirl

RE: Smooth Stove Top Cleaning

Try one of those Magic Erasers. I use the Mr. Clean brand one. Dampen it very slightly, and use it with

the burners turned off. (02/18/2005)

By Guest

RE: Smooth Stove Top Cleaning

Try Orange Clean (from the makers of Oxiclean). It works wonders on my glass stove top. (02/19/2005)

By guest

RE: Smooth Stove Top Cleaning

Barkeepers friend is the best stuff to clean your stove top. (02/19/2005)

RE: Smooth Stove Top Cleaning

I would cover it with that new Dawn degreaser (not sure of the name) and let it sit for several hours.

Then I would wash it off. It might take more than one time, but I believe that will get as much of it

off as anything on the market. (02/19/2005)

By Nancy

RE: Smooth Stove Top Cleaning

I'd wet it a little, pour on a bit of liquid dishwasher detergent and let it sit overnite. Should wipe

up easily in the AM. (02/19/2005)

By Linda

RE: Smooth Stove Top Cleaning

I used a paste of OxiClean and water. Let it sit for a bit and scrub away. Works well. (02/21/2005)

RE: Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

What you'd do would depend on what type of a smooth cooking surface you have. I got a single edged

razor blade in a holder with my stove, and it works for most things. However, I must be very careful with

sugar. If I get sugar on it, I must turn off the heat and remove it immediately. If I don't, the melted

sugar will ruin the surface and there is nothing that I can do to repair the damage. Check with the

manufacturer. (12/12/2005)

By susanmajp

RE: Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

I have a GE smooth top stove and use their "Cerama Bryte scrapper. "It is similar to a razor blade, but

not as sharp so as not to scratch the surface. It comes with a holder. It can be purchased from G.E.Parts

Center 1-800-626-2002. (12/13/2005)

By Dean

RE: Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

Solved a similar problem years ago.
    Make sure cooktop is cool to the touch.
    Surround the spot with dish towels.
    Pour boiling water on the burnt on food.
    Make sure the towels soak up the excess water, but aim to have the water puddle over the spot.
    The spots will loosen shortly and then you get to wipe and repeat the whole process all over again.

I discovered this while making flan. (12/13/2005)

By cookwie

RE: Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

I use oven cleaner on my smooth top all the time. DO
    NOT put it on when smooth top is HOT. Only do
    when cold. Leave on for no longer than 10 minutes. Everything will wipe off wonderfully! (04/09/2006)

By Polly

RE: Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

Use Soft Scrub. I have been using that for two years on my smooth top and it has cleaned off everything!

And it hasn't hurt my smooth top.

DO NOT use a razor blade or metal objects this is going to scratch the surface. You can however use a

green scrub pad with the Soft Scrub. (02/26/2007)

By Suzanne

RE: Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

Zep Mfg. has a paste product called Best Stuff. It's available directly through Zep. Apply product with

damp sponge, allow to sit a few minutes, continue scrubbing then add some water and rinse off. You glass

top will look brand new when done. This product is 100% non abrasive. As a side note, this product is

absolutely awesome on cast iron bath tubs! (06/15/2007)

By Marc

RE: Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

OxiClean is a good bet, but the owner's manual for my GE stovetop (pg 14,

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/usappliance/pp980owne.pdf) say that sugar and plastic can cook on

permanently unless you take it off right away. (08/28/2007)

By Adrian

RE: Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

I had burned sugar crystals on the glass top and the regular cleaners did no good. Here was my solution.

Rub a little olive oil on the area. Carefully scrape with a new single edge razor blade held at a shallow

angle. You should see burned stuff accumulate on the blade. Wipe this onto a paper towel wet with oil.

Continue until smooth. Clean up with a paper towel and water. (09/24/2007)

By Tim

RE: Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

My pot boiled over. It was filled with coco and butter. It immediately baked on to my glass cook top!

After it cooled off, I tried creme, dishwashing liquid, etc. and nothing worked. I figured I had nothing

to lose so I poured vinegar on top of the stove and rubbed it into the burned area. Then I poured the

cleansing creme on top of vinegar, took a paper towel and worked the creme into the vinegar and let it

sit for a couple of minutes. Then I wiped with clean paper towel and low and behold all of the burned

chocolate came off! (12/27/2007)

By Lynn

RE: Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

Mt. Dew syrup cleans anything! Just don't drink it, lol. My husband worked at a KFC in high school and

they soaked the fry baskets in it when stuff got melted/fried onto them. If you have access to some, I'd

try it. He said they played around with it and discovered it cleaned everything: toilets, grease off the

floors, etc. Just let it soak on for a while. (05/09/2008)

By Brandysue

RE: Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

I just tried the Bar Keepers Friend on the horrible black stains left by boiling over homemade

applesauce. It took time, but it was awesome and nothing is left! Thanks. (11/04/2008)

By cmom

RE: Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

I had two different things burnt onto my glass cooktop. I found two different solutions one worked for

one and the other for the other.

The first thing was some burnt on sauerkraut. I wet a new Bounce dryer sheet and left it very damp,

with standing water, and laid it on the stains. It took a bit of scrubbing after, but it all came off.

A Bounce dryer sheet will also work with cooked on food in pans and casserole dishes. Just put one in

with hot soapy water and let it soak for a while. You will be able to just wipe it clean.

My 2nd stain was burnt on brown sugar. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get it. First I used

the stovetop creme, then the Bounce dryer sheet, it didn't phase it. Finally I used a very thick baking

soda/water paste, rubbed it hard with my fingertips for several minutes, and it finally came off. Good

luck! (11/18/2008)

The Best Stain Remover...flat top stove

The best thing I have found was first Comet, then the baking soda, add hot water drops and salt, rub with

fingers. Good luck. (01/06/2009)

By Pam from AL

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesFebruary 8, 2012
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Smooth Top Stove
    Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
    Tea spilling on a laptop computer keyboard.
    Protect Your Laptop From Spills
    Smooth Stove Top
    Cleaning Stains on a Smooth Stove Top
    Spilled Milk in kitchen
    Preventing Spills in the Kitchen
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 6, 2016 at 8:12:07 AM on 10.0.2.231 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings