Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Cleaning Spills on a Smooth Top Stove

Black smooth top cooking range.

While there may be no more grates, elements, or drip pans to clean, food still gets on your smooth top stove. Once it dries or cooks on, these spills can be difficult to remove without damaging the surface. This is a guide about cleaning spills on a smooth top stove.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

When cleaning a very bad spill (from boiled over sugar to spilled baked beans) off of a flat top stove do not invest in the very expensive cleaners made for these stoves, they do not work. Spray on a little oven cleaner, turn on the burner for a few seconds, let cool and then wipe clean.

By Traci in Indiana

Tip: Cleaning A Smooth Top Stove Surface

I've owned a smoothtop stove for some six years or so and I've made many attempts at cleaning up my "muck ups".

For average problems, there are many solutions out there. But for those very bad mistakes there are very few - if any - good solutions. I've tried almost everything. The scraping is tedious and doesn't always (or very seldom) works.

First try baking soda with a little water. It's cheap and abrasive but doesn't scratch. Cleaners like Barkeeper's Friend are abrasive but have about the same effect as baking soda. Glass cleaner is good for mild problems, just let it soak.

I'm gonna try the oven cleaner but be careful. I've been to different web sites and they have no comments on it's effectiveness.

Glasstops - a solution or a problem? Are you perfect? Then they are a solution. You aren't perfect? - then they are no better than a regular electric stove.

By

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!

Here are questions related to Cleaning Spills on a Smooth Top Stove.

Question: Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

I have burnt sugar on a smooth top stove. Any suggestions how to remove. Regular stove top cleaner is not helping

Barbara from Columbia

Most Recent Answer

By Macie401/27/2014

I discovered in order to clean my glass top stove I use Soft Scrub and an old credit card to scrape the stove. It does not scratch and works like a charm. I keep an old credit card next to my stove for this purpose. Good Luck

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

By Traci in Indiana

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I tried it and it worked! I was amazed. Thanks. (05/07/2004)

By Patsy

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

One thing you need to be careful of is not burning the cleaning product onto the stove top though. (09/21/2004)

By coralee

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

Just make sure to watch out for fumes. Keep kids and pets (especially birds) out of the house anytime you're heating up oven cleaner. And of course use good ventilation for yourself in the area. (08/02/2005)

By betty123

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

Hi. Turn the burner on as low as it will go, then scrape with a heat proof spatula. It will take a while. It may take a razor blade or flat knife or scraper to get the last of it off but you will need to heat it up a little so it melts enough that you can get it off.

Susan from ThriftyFun (08/15/2005)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

Well, I own a cleaning company in South Jersey and I must say that with all my experience, I found Soft Scrub with Bleach works best on the flat top stove. Just put on the stained area and let stand for a few moments, then with a soft non scratch sponge rub in small circles, then take a damp cloth and wipe away residue! Worked great for mine! Good luck. (07/06/2006)

By Melissa

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

The Easy-Off worked great! I had to turn on (let burner warm up) and off, I took a metal spatula and covered it with a damp dish cloth, then scraped the plastic off. Repeated as necessary. About 3-4 for me. I was nervous about letting it get too hot. Thanks so much for the tip! (06/19/2007)

By Sara

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I tried the oven cleaner and it worked great. Thank you! (09/30/2007)

By Jess

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I can't believe how many people have had the same problem as I have! In the past, I have only had electric stoves so I have never had this problwm. I love my flat top stove but hate the fact that I can't keep it tidy! I like a clean house and it's driving me crazy. Thanks for the suggestions! I will surely try them! (11/10/2007)

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I have a friend who was given a specialized razor blade when she purchased her stove, it was from the manufacturer in order to keep it clean. I haven't tried it yet myself. (12/06/2007)

By jess

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

Before I bought my whirlpool Gold, I asked around and 90% loved them. They mentioned about using the razor blade to clean spills. So I bought one and now regret it. I love the flat surface, but like everyone else, I hate cleaning it. I have 6 cleaning products and a razor and nothing works that great. To make it worse, the afternoon sun shines on it and you can see any streak or spot. I am going to take the suggestion and try the soft scrub with bleach. (07/16/2008)

By Mary

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I have tried a bunch of methods to clean our Kenmore Elite flat top range but nothing beats the oven cleaner sprayed on top, then heat up for 10-15 seconds and wipe clean with damp cloth before a final regular clean with soap and water once range has cooled down. (08/17/2008)

By Ruhtber Peraza

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

Thanks for the tip about the oven cleaner! I just got a new stove and had a burned sponge mark. I had tried everything. Easy off worked. Heated it up then wiped off. Thanks. (08/29/2008)

By SHERI

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I just purchased a black glass stove-top. On the first use, I wiped a small spill with a kitchen towel, melting/burning the towel slightly. It left a foggy streak on the edge of the burner. I was sick to my stomach! I used baking soda and water. It came right off! What a relief! (10/19/2008)

By JasonK

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

Easy Off has a new glass top cleaner that works very well. It doesn't leave the streaks and smudges that the other cleaners did. I have a GE black surface which has been a pain to clean. I still need the razor for the burnt on stuff. I had a gray glass-top stove in another house that cleaned much easier. (11/19/2008)

By MacMacGA

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I had the same problem with the top of the stove looking terrible and burnt in. I used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and WOW! The difference was amazing! It took little to no elbow grease and no additional cleaners. I just wet the eraser and wiped and it literally was like new! Good luck to you all. (02/01/2009)

By CJFLL

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I use the razor and special creme made for the flat tops, but it's not very effective. I found that the magic eraser works pretty well.

NOTE: If you use ceramic pans make sure they are safe for flat tops. My husband and I bought some and thankfully read the "instructions," it says do NOT use on flat tops. (02/22/2009)

By Angie

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

I tried the oven cleaner. Omg, it worked! Thank you so much. I've been struggling with cleaning it for 2 years since we got it. I bought every product they mae for this and still I couldn't get some things off. I'm so excited! (05/04/2010)

By JoAnneK7561

RE: Cleaning Spills on Flat Top Stove

Thank God for Mr. Clean. Ladies, if you're gonna leave your husband for an ugly fat bald man, Mr. Clean is the guy for you! Someone posted to use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean flat top stoves so I tried it. It took a little elbow grease but I got all the burnt on milk, water, oil, and all that other junk off. My stove looks brand new. I love Mr. Clean! (08/11/2010)

By goodys_booger

Archive: Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove