Share & Vote
Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Does Fixing a Cat Help With Behavior?

Our 7 month old unfixed male cat is constantly wandering around the house looking for trouble. He is also very talkative! Is this just a normal phase? He has not started to spray, yet. Will having him neutered solve the bulk of this problem. He's driving us crazy!

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By khilde [11]01/16/2009

I recently read the book, "The Cat Who Cried For Help." (http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Who-Cried-Help-Psychology/dp/0553378546). It talked about very vocal cats and spraying behaviors and what they can sometimes mean. I found it to be a very good read and found it at my local library. You don't have to read the whole thing--just the parts that pertain to your little guy. Good luck!

By Beth [25]01/08/2009

Is he Siamese or at least part Siamese? I had my first experience with that breed as my fourth cat who is only half Siamese. The first three are fairly quiet, so who knew? Well, apparently a lot of people did because I was told it was his breed! The good news is that after neutering and he reached a year, he began to quiet down. Now he's ALMOST "normal."

Good luck - don't give up on him!

By Trixie (Guest Post)01/06/2009

I think the cat is just bored, there are a couple of things that my cats love. For the times when you are away there is a circle tube with a ball in it and on the top there are openings and the cat can see the ball and chase it (don't know what it is called). There are scratching boxes for $7.00 that come with catnip and are made of corrugated cardboard. When you are there you can't go wrong with a feather on a stick, a laser pointer, or yarn. His talking is just who he is. Sometimes they are trying to tell you something. If the food bowl is empty, I get talked to a lot. :)

By Sarah Leach [8]01/06/2009

Our Pwyll was an Exteremly Active cat at around the same age. We had him fixed and now he's a nice, big, fat, cuddly lump on my telephone table.
The lack of testosterone did wonders to calm him down.

By anne [10]01/05/2009

First and foremost, get your cat neutered! If he ever got out he could be responsible for an untold number of kittens. And since thousands upon thousands are put to death every year in the U.S., it is the only responsible thing to do! His hormones are probably exploding right now, so do this right away. I have 3 adult cats and 3 rescued kittens right now. Two of the adults are very vocal when they want their crunchies. Your cat might be bored - you might consider getting him a playmate - I think two cats are better than one. Get a female for him, then there's no competition. He might just be lonely for some kitty company. Please save a life - rescue a cat from a shelter.

RE: Does Fixing a Cat Help With Behavior?

By Anne (Guest Post)01/05/2009

By Louise B. [4]01/05/2009

If your cat is looking for trouble, he needs some attention or some cat toys. A young cat is supposed to be lively and playful. My cats are 9 and 13 years, and just today were tearing around the house like demons. Of course, then they found a comfy spot and have been sleeping for 4 hours.

Talk to the cat if he is vocal. He is talking to you.

I haven't had a lot of trouble with my two cats spraying. Sometimes they do if there are stray tom cats wandering through the yard, and they get nervous about that. The younger cat tends to be worse than the older one, but it isn't something that he does constantly. The older cat has not sprayed anything for years.

By O.B. (Guest Post)01/02/2009

Thanks all for the info! We are going to get our Chappybeans fixed anyway, but just wondered if it had a calming effect on the kitty cat. He is a handful, but we love him very much and enjoy his playful nature. (most the time) haha! He is still a kitten, after all!

By jean (Guest Post)12/31/2008

I am owned by a neutered 16 year old male Manx named (for obvious reasons) Stumpy.He was fixed when we got him at 12 weeks from the SPCA, and began spraying at about 6 months of age. Still does it. He is also very vocal, and has been since we got him. The neutering stops some cats from spraying, not all. The talking is the individual personality, and probably won't change. I did find that he slowed down and became calmer after he reached about a year of age. Enjoy your cat for the unique fur person that he is.

By Judi [17]12/30/2008

All neutering is guaranted to do is stop him from being able to reproduce...period. Anything else you get is a bonus. It's been said that if a cat has not started spraying, neutering will keep him from starting. Others disagree. Being vocal or less vocal is not something I've ever heard of being associated with neutering. Maybe he needs a little brother or sister to play with.

By schubunny [5]12/30/2008

Both my two fixed male cats are talkative. One is a Siamese so that is natural, and the other picked it up from my Siamese.

I believe fixing does help with behavior and the spraying, but the meowing just might be part of his personality. :)

What works for me is if they start, I just kinda chase them for a second and they forget what they were doing (ie: meowing) haha.