Burning Bush Changing Color Early

Question:

My burning bush is changing color too early in the season. What is wrong with it?

Hardiness Zone: 5b

Beth from Portland, Maine

Answer:

Beth,

There is probably nothing wrong with your burning bushes-at least nothing that you should be worried about. In summers where temperatures have been above average, it isn't unusual for trees and shrubs to start turning color a bit earlier than normal. Higher temperatures can jump start their color cycle prematurely. Stress from too much or too little water can also do the same thing. In fact, any abnormal environmental stressors are capable of inducing this affect. In rare cases, insect or diseases can also throw off a shrub's color cycle, but it's far more likely that what you are seeing is due to some type of weather related stress.

Keep an eye on your bush and try to alleviate any environmental stressors you can control (like too little water) for the remainder of the growing season. Because your burning bush started its color cycle early, you can expect it to end earlier than normal, too. Hopefully any premature leaf loss will be minimal and your bush will return to a "normal" cycle by next year.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Have you had some cool nights when you usually don't? I believe it's the changing weather that makes the color change and if it's getting cooler than usual earlier than usual that might do it.

Well I live in Portland as well and my burning bushes and well as all the others I have seen are also turning red. There is nothing wrong with your bushes.

Mine is starting to turn, I am in Milwaukee, WI and we did have a dry summer and this past week has been below average temps- I so look forward to it's beauty every fall!

I live in Rutland Ma is it too late to transplant or should I wait until the spring?

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceOctober 2, 2008
Burning Bush
Burning Bush Does Not Turn Red
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Burning bush, fall foliage.
Growing a Burning Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
🎄