Add Fabric Strips to Fence To Keep Pests Out

Last year, I had difficulty with deer, wild turkeys, and our free range chickens getting into my garden, even though we have a 6 foot fence surrounding the whole area. The would jump or fly over and nibble away, eating whatever they felt like. It was really frustrating!

This spring, I was determined to try something different. I had heard that flags worked to scare deer away. I took that idea one step further. I secured one wire, about 6 inches or so, above the fence, and then a second wire about a foot above the first wire.

Next I sewed together scraps of fabric cut into strips 3 inches wide and as long as you want, short sides together. I made mine really colorful! You could take an old sheet (or pick one up at the thrift store or yard sale) and cut it up for the strips.

Lastly, I wove the strips between the two wires making "V's";. And it works! No deer, no turkeys, and no chickens! I am finally harvesting fresh veggies without nibbles and pecks, and it adds lots of color to my garden.

By gypsyranchcreations from Grants Pass, OR

Great idea! I'll have to try this one.

Squash Bugs
Protecting Your Garden From Pests
Home and Garden Pest Control DeerAugust 23, 2010
fabric scissors
Cutting Fabric Strips
Privacy Fence
Building a Privacy Fence
Chicken in tomato plants
Animals Eating My Tomato Plants
A fenced vegetable and flower garden.
Fencing Your Vegetable Garden