MiscellaneousCrafts

How Can I Make Wax More Flexible for a Design Project?

I am a graphic design student and we are doing a project where we make textures that reference the human body. This one texture I'm doing looks pretty cool, but the problem is that since I'm doing it with candle wax it chips/break easily. Which is not good since we will be mounting them on balsa wood/or chipboard which are bendable. The paper I'm using is Arches 88 paper (the wax seemed to stick better to that kind of paper).

My question is: Do you guys know of anything I can put on the wax that will make it more flexible and durable? Or do you have any other material suggestions that I can use instead of wax to get the same/similar effect?

One of my classmates suggested polyurethane, but I wanna get more suggestions first before I go out and just buy it.

By Meghan from TX

I know the wax they use in heat therapy is paraffin with mineral oil, which keeps it softer. But, I don't know how that might affect your mounting it, if you plan on using adhesive. You might try it with a small amount of wax. I am not sure of proportions, you could experiment.

I do know when we make lip balm, we use sweet almond oil with beeswax. In that case, we use about 3 to 1 oil to wax (since we want the oily properties). Maybe start about 5 or 6 to one wax to oil?

Can you post or email me instructions on how you add the oil to the wax. Thank you.

Try soy wax. It is much softer than pariffin, not sure if it will crack. Or you might want to try polymer clay. If you don't bake it all the way it will bend.

Hi Meghan, I don't know if this will help or even work in what your needing, but I made a project one time where I did a srapbook type of look and then framed it. It contain pictures of my brother and I during our childhood. I liked the way the page turned out but wanted to add texture. I used candle wax also to cover things on the paper. When I felt it was getting hard or unworkable too soon, I used a hair dryer to warm it up and it gave me the extra time to work the wax. I don't know if this suits your situation but thought I'd throw it out to you anyway. It worked well for my project. Good luck!

Venice Turpentine, which is used on horses hooves and can be found at tack and feed stores, will make wax more pliable.

There is a recipe for Modeling Wax, in The American Girls Handy Book, by Lina Beard, which just might meet your needs.

1lb beeswax,melted.

4oz venice turpentine,

1/2 oz olive oil

1/2 lb cornstarch

Use all wax melting precautions:

Melt beeswax,

Combine and warm turp and oil, then add to wax,

Stir in cornstarch until fully incorporated.

It should be a nice pliable wax that will soften in your hands. More turp = more pliable.

Your work is beautiful. Keep it up and good luck!

Oh wow! Thanks guys! I actually tried the beeswax block and it worked pretty well I'm definitely printing this out and keeping this for future projects! Thanks so much creative peeps!