Easy Curried Tilapia
This delicious recipe is a great way to prepare tilapia.
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder (or 1 clove fresh garlic if on hand)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 thawed tilapia or other whitefish fillets
- Thaw 2 fillets in your fridge the night before, (or use the recommended quick thaw method on the package).
- Saute the diced onion and bay leaf in a 2 quart pot in 1-2 tablespoons of canola oil over medium heat. When the onion starts to get transparent, add the curry powder.
- Turn with a spatula for a minute. Add the garlic powder and cayenne pepper, and stir again. Pour in the can of coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Add salt to taste. Add the thawed fish fillets, and bring the flame down to medium-low, and cook for 10+ minutes with the cover on, checking the fish after 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard. Serve the curry over hot brown instant Minute Rice.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
Notes: Buy a package of Frozen tilapia that has the individual fillets wrapped separately inside the larger bag. I get my spices in the Spanish section of the supermarket. The "Badia" brand of spices is just as good as the McCormick and other brand names, but is about 1/2 to 1/3 the price.
By Denise from FL
Read feedback for this post below.
Click here to post feedback.
Sounds great! Just remember that if it's important to you, check the bag of frozen Talapia (and other fish) for the country of origin. At Walmart and other grocery stores it is China. I hope we will all support American fisherman when possible. Anne
Add your voice to the conversation.