Heartbeats for Dad Craft

Children love making and giving gifts which they always put their hearts into, so why not let them give both to Dad on his special day. Here is an easy, but heartfelt gift for them to create. An adult will need to help with the handle, but the kids can design the rest.

Approximate Time: 1 hr.

• empty and clean tin can
  • markers or crayons
  • assorted colored paper
  • double backed tape
  • drill
  • wire or pipe cleaner

1. Remove label from can and wash thoroughly.
  2. Drill a hole on each side of can at top. (Adult should do this step.)
  3. Cut a piece of paper the width of the can and long enough to wrap around, just like the label was. Let the kids decorate the label.
  4. Attach to can using double backed tape. Poke hole through paper where the can holes are.
  5. Bend wire for handle and insert through holes. Bend each end up to secure handle.
  6. Ad

7. If children are old enough, have them write down reasons they love Dad. They can also draw small pictures for him.
  8. Tear off reasons and pictures and fold each one up. Put all of them inside can. If the children are too young to write, ask them to tell you and write down everything they say.

I did this with my grandchildren and one of my youngest granddaughter's reasons was that "Daddy's feet don't stink". Of course that one went into the bucket along with the rest and I'm sure "daddy" will love it! My oldest granddaughter said that she loves how daddy's hugs feel. Dad will feel like a king on Father's Day!

We decorated ours to look like a paint pail and wrote "Heartbeats for Daddy" on it. We put all the love notes in a zip lock bag that had hearts on it and tied it with ribbon and put it in the pail. Then we attached this poem that I wrote for them. Please feel free to use it.

Here's a can I filled for you
But paint you will not find
Instead you will discover
All the love I feel inside

You mean the whole wide world to me
So a shirt just would not do
Instead I put in bits of my heart
Of what I feel for you

As you read each heartbeat
Please know I feel them every day
You are my special Daddy
And in my heart you'll always stay

By Mary from Palm Coast, FL

Love this, not only does your craft teach recycling principles (which I absolutely love and teach whenever I can!), but your grand-girls will also see that when they put so much love into a project, reactions will be fabulous, their dad will be so pleased!

Wow! Great project and I love the poem you wrote! Thank you so much for sharing it with us! =)

Lovely poem. It made me cry! Happy cry. Wonderful idea.

A mug made for dad on Father's Day.
Father's Day Crafts for Kids
Holidays and Parties Father's Day CraftsJune 3, 2011
Father's Day Candy Bouquet
Father's Day Candy Bouquet Ideas
Girl with Homemade Father's Day Card
Homemade Father's Day Cards
Gift wrapped for Father's Day.
Father's Day Gift Ideas
Super Dad Doll
Making a Super Dad Doll