Making Fake Food

Does anyone know how to make fake food? My husband is restoring an old car and I wanted to surprise him with one of those trays that hang on the side with the food on it or even the spilled fake food.

Thanks,
Audrie from PA

I don't know how to make it but having taught pre school for several years I can tell you there is plastic food which looks good enough to eat. Try your local toy store. There are pieces of fried chicken, sliced tomatoes, lettuce and many other things. The french fries will make you want to rush right out to your favorite hamburger joint.

BTW this is a very clever idea! He will love it.

Shades of the 50's. What a great Idea!. Do you have the tray? A place like Sonic might help you with a tray. Consider consignment shops near you for pieces of food. Craft stores might have the meat/burger items. If crafty is your game, a craft store would also have polymer clay which comes in many colors. Knead it, shape or mold it, bake, done. :) After it's baked the 'food' may be similar in weight as the real thing.

Do let us know how your surprise goes.

Jeremiah

I have made hamburgers out of candy with

a mold bought at the craft store.

Google Art Attack. The guy does some amazing things with paper mache

To make fake spills...mix glue with whatever color paint you want. I used Elmer's School Glue and brown paint. I poured it into a washed pudding cup and dumped it out onto wax paper. I then stuck a spoon (metal or plastic) into it so that it looked like someone was eating it. After a few days (it took a long time) it was dry and ready to peel off of the wax paper. It looked so much like a real spill!

Also, you make a salt dough...I forget how it was so long ago....and mold it into any shape. French fries, hamburger, etc. You can either paint them after making them or mix the paint right into the dough.

Joy

I remember ( in girl scouts) making a fake root beer float by melting brown colored wax ( parafin with brown crayon melted in it) poured into a beer mug and allowed to harden. For the ice cream topping, we just used parafin with white crayon mixed in and when nearly dry, mixed it up to look like foam, then scooped on top of the already hardened brown root beer wax. Add a straw, very cute!

Thank you all for the great ideas. I think this is going to be a Christmas gift, with maybe make a couple of different themes.

Thanks again

Love to all,

audrie

I just looked on eBay for fake milkshake, fake food, fake hamburger, fake sandwich and found items for sale under all those. Just go look!

There was a show on, I think, "Made in America". An impression is made of any food (can't remember what was used - parafin I think. Then a colored polymer was poured in to this mold. See show for details.

Try your local craft store for modeling clay..Crayola makes one now that dries and hardens--comes in different colors. could create burgers and fries pretty easily...You can also mix equal parts of shaving cream and school-type glue to make a foamy type consistency that might make a milkshake. It also dries well.(I teach preschool!) Dollar stores all offer Coke glasses that would be cute! Please submit a picture after your project is done! I would love to see it!

I know what you are talking about. I remember when i was younger I had to make fake food for a school project, it was a lot of work. I went to a dollar store and it is amazing how you can change gums ball to olives.

GOOD LUCK!

eBay sells some pretty cool stuff like that and I have also found a place called Abby's Attic (www.abbysattic.com) that sells faux (fake) foods.

I believe this is what you are looking for.....

http://www.leeleescreations.shoppingcartsplus.com/page/page/1483633.htm

Look at this site:

www.auntbubbiesfakefood.com

There is a great fake food website called Fauxfooddiner they make the trays and food that looks so real.

Faux bundt cake
Making Fake Food
Crafts AdviceSeptember 4, 2007
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
Faux Fingernails
Using Faux Fingernails
Fake Logs
Making Fake Logs
🎉
🎄