Engagement Party Etiquette

Can the groom's family have an engagement party for the couple? The bride's family lives three hours north and may want to have a party up there. How do we do this?

By Lynn from St. Paul, MN

Best Answer

Of course! My in-laws had a party at their home (4 hrs away) for their friends and family and my mom had one for us - both parents were invited to each others party too! It was a great way to meet each other's extended families and friends before the wedding reception! And, it was a meet and greet - no gifts!

I don't see anything wrong if you want to have a party for people where you live, just be sure to invite the bride's parents. They could do the same where they live. My opinion is do what ever suits you as long as you don't offend somebody or do something that hurts somebody.

I would think that the people who would be invited to the party would be relieved not to travel 3 hours!

Four women sitting on a couch at an engagement party surrounded by cupcakes, treats and gifts.  One is wearing a gigantic plastic diamond ring
Engagement Party Etiquette
Holidays and Parties Parties EngagementJanuary 3, 2010
Museum Themed Party
Throwing Museum Themed Party
Buying an Engagement Ring, A diamond engagement ring.
Buying an Engagement Ring
Engagement Photo Ideas
Engagement Photo Ideas
Young woman at her engagement party.
Planning an Engagement Party
🎉
🎄