Determining the Gender of a Parakeet

How can I tell a parakeet's sex?

By Pansy1616 from MD

Best Answer

The answer above re the color of the cere (that area with the nostrils just above the beak) is correct. Boys will be blue and girls are tannish to brown, although with young budgies it might be hard to tell - they mostly all look like girls at first. With parakeets and most other hookbills or parrots the brightness of the color means nothing as far as what sex they are - even the girls are bright and beautiful :-)

I was told, many years ago that the nose would be dark blue on a male when he began to mature. the very light blue, and the tan are female. They must have been right because my "pair" had babies, which thrilled me no end as a young teen. (I am 70 now) but that was one of the highlights of my farm life. Hope this helps.

Not sure exactly, but with most birds the brighter colored birds are male, and the dull colors are female.

It is determined by the color on the top of their beak. Boys will have a blue color nose and girls will have a lighter color tan or beige, something of that nature.

Parakeets sitting on a wood perch.
Determining the Gender of a Parakeet
Pets BirdsAugust 29, 2009
female gold finch
Determining the Gender of a Finch
Parakeet
Parakeet Losing Its Feathers
Parakeet
Understanding Parakeet Behavior
4 cute kittens.
Determining the Gender of a Cat
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 25, 2017 at 11:47:02 PM on 10.0.0.173 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.