Burying Kitchen Scraps Instead of Composting

Can you bury kitchen scraps without necessarily 'composting'? For instance, when I have potato peals, can I bury them under the dirt?

imama2many

Sure you can, you will be feeding the little ants and bugs.

Yes, you usually do it around your plants were you will not disturb the roots or in the walkways between your rows a Vegetables, Just be sure to cover it well, if it's in the walkway , I cover it with cardboard and an Upside-Down piece of carpeting and next year that can be your planting row.

Yes, you can put your garden waste straight into the ground, although it takes longer to breakdown. Ideally banana peels ,coffee grounds and teabags break down faster than other organic matter. So they give your plants a "lift" faster.

Of course you can. You can also just throw it on top of the ground and let it rot or break down by itself (I spray this "on top of the ground" matter every few days to help the bacteria that will break it down). Eventually, if you discard all of your organic matter in one location, the earthworms will help you "dig it in." Every month or so I change locations, to spread the wealth, as it were.

It is not the most attractive sight, so I usually place the organic matter behind bushes or in the out-of-the-way spots in the garden.

A tip from a book called "The Lazy Gardener´s Gardening Guide," my "Bible" for the yard.

Isnt this one of the tips the early settlers learned from the American Indians? They taught them to bury a fish where they planted corn. The fish was the fertilizer.

I try not to waste anything that will enrich my soil. Why should I throw it away to go to the landfill, and then pay hard earned money for store bought fertilizer? (smile) when I buy bananas I think of the good buy I am getting. I use the whole thing, skin and all.

If possible read The Lasagna Gardener or any book by Ruth Stout. Jerry Baker also has some good information on the subject.

Best of luck always,

Home and Garden Gardening CompostingFebruary 19, 2008
Food Scraps
Uses for Food Scraps
Composting Indoors
Composting Indoors
Worm Composting (Vermicomposting)
Worm Composting (Vermicomposting)
Large Kitchen Fire
Preventing Kitchen Fires
🎄