Removing Musty Odor from Old Cabinet

I bought a cabinet, that is old, for my bathroom and there is a musty odor inside. I have tried baking soda and vinegar and it didn't work. Please help.

Robinson in NC

Best Answer

I have had luck with charcoal briquets in the back corners of a musty shelf, DO NOT use the self lighting charcoal

Best Answer

I have a great old wooden hutch/cabinet that was musty. I tried baking soda in a pan, then a baking soda/water paste scrub, then ground coffee and nothing worked. THEN, AHA! I sprayed the entire inside surface with cedar oil and no more musty smell! The cedar smell faded but the musty odor did NOT come back.

I will definitely try this method. I am a great fan of cedar oil for my dark furniture. Thank you

Best Answer

I found that if you put a container of Damp-Rid in your cabinet and empty often, then refill as needed with the granules, it will take out the musty smell. Try putting a clean cloth with vanilla (real extract) and it should also help. Also there is a carpet/freshener that is a powder vanilla scent that works great on carpet, could sprinkle that inside, it is made by Glade Carpet & Room deodorizer.

There was a tip on this very newsletter that suggested using some regular charcoal briquettes to remove odors. You can put some in a container to use in closets, basements, etc. In your case you might crush some up and put that into some sort of container that would fit in the cabinet or else just put a whole briquette in the cabinet. Hope this helps!

Have you considered using plain, non-self-starting charcoal briquettes in an open container?

You could stuff it full of crumpled clean old newspaper for a while. I would spray OUT on the Paper. I get this in jugs at WalMart in the pet department. It smell like vanilla extract.

I think I read somewhere that using cottonballs or wads of paper towels with vanilla extract on them would fix something like this too.

Yep, see Related Links, vanilla balls & newspaper for odor removal.

musty smelling wood trunk
Removing Musty Odors from Wood Furniture
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJune 22, 2004
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
Musty Shoes
Cleaning Musty Odors From Shoes
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
🎉
🎄