Beware " Daily Top 10" Emails; Actually Malware

Thousands (possibly millions) of users are receiving what looks like an innocuous daily missive from (it sails right through spam filters), offering links to the "Daily Top 10" stories and videos. Flag these emails as spam, and do not click the links inside. The links will direct you to a malware website and attempt to install dangerous software on your PC.

GAH!! I wondered what was going on. I've been getting about ten of those spams a day. I knew it had to be some sort of scam, just wasn't sure since I refused to click on the emails. Thanks for the heads up.

My internet provider's spam filter has actually been catching these CNN ones, but there are some others that look to be from MSN that have been getting through to my email program. When I felt they were suspicious, I just hovered the mouse over the link and saw that the link leads to some obscure website that is not MSN and also leads to an executable program file. Some of them say it is an update to Internet Explorer, others had different messages but I can't recall now what. So beware also of emails that "appear" to be from MSN!!

General rule of thumb: If you didn't request it, delete it.

Another important tip: Always, ALWAYS use web-based e-mail (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.). DO NOT EVER use your e-mail client (software) to download e-mails to your computer. That's how viruses and other nasty pieces of malware get on your system. A computer technician gave me this tip years ago, and I've never gotten a virus because of it. :-)

Computer screen says "Caution".
Preventing Computer Viruses and Malware
Computers SpamAugust 11, 2008
recycled can planters
Making Crafts With Recycled Items
Wood Blinds
Cleaning Wood Blinds
Bleach Bottle
Repairing Bleach Stains on Carpet
Photo of a person clicking on their inbox.
Organizing Your Email
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on October 18, 2016 at 1:05:49 AM on in 833 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.