NutritionHealth & Beauty

Low Purine Diet for Someone With Gout

I am looking for a low-purine diet for gout, one that is very simple and to the point. Broken down by weekly intake using old fashion measurements (cups, teaspoons, etc.). Is there such a thing?

Denise from Pantego, TX4

All you have to do for gout is eat cherries or drink cherry juice. You will have immediate relief. Really!

I was just talking to a natural health provider about this the other day and she recommended cherries also. She said that red cherries are the best, fresh, canned, juice or any form that you can find. She also said it was important to have some everyday and that there have been studies to show that it is really effective for relieving the symptoms of gout.

Susan from ThriftyFun

http://www.pccn … _Purine_Diet.htm

This was the 1st hit when I googled "low purine diet." There were MANY more.

aardvark

The Cherries work every time, have had gout twice and the doctor told me to drink cherry juice, it worked wonders.

CHERRIES recommended about 8 . Seems to work for many. Give them a try. I think even the cherry pie filling will work if that is all that is available. Canned cherrys, when fresh is out of season.

I was just talking to a friend yesterday about this very thing. She said to avoid all canned fish. Hope this helps.

Connie from Canada

AVOID SEAFOOD. NO SHRIMP,LOBSTER ETC THIS WILL FLAIR UP GOUT IN A HEARTBEAT.

I have never had gout, but I have used tart cherry juice concentrate for other types of pain, and I have been pleased with the results. This juice concentrate contains flavanoid compounds that are supposed to lower uric acid and reduce inflammation, both associated with gout. The tart cherry product I am referring to is made with Montmorency tart cherries, which are grown primarily in Michigan, not to be confused with the sweet cherries found in the grocery stores. Sometimes you can find these cherry products in farm markets, specialty food stores, or health food stores if you are lucky, but unless you are in Michigan, mail order is the way to go. Here is the Cherry Marketing Institute's website for more information on how tart cherries can help reduce or eliminate the pain from gout:

www.usacherries.com

Also, I have purchased tart cherry juice concentrate from these two companies:

www.brownwoodacres.com

www.leelanaufruit.com

Hope this helps you!

truerblue in PA

Do an on-line search for "gout diet", you'll get lots of sites and info

My husband suffers from Gout and has had it for approx. 20+yrs. Cherries do seem to work, sometimes. He takes medication(Allopurinol)daily. On occasion he has a flare up and takes (Indomethicin). Over the years he has averaged 1 or 2 attacks per year(approx. 1~3 days). Now in his late 50's the attacks seem to last longer (~1 month). Regular cures aren't working as effectively. Every persons "gout" is different. Nothing is a "sure fire cure" for this ailment! Rule of thumb......If it works...use it!