How Can I Soften Hard Clumped Dishwasher Detergent?

How do I soften old, clumped together powdered dishwashing detergent?

By Deborah from Louisville, KY

Probably the best thing to do is carefully open the box or you might have to cut off the top with a pair of scissors. Pour the powdered dish washing detergent in a plastic bag and break up the clumps with a rolling pin or a heavy spoon. Then store it in a plastic container.

A piece of soft bread works with clumped up brown sugar so it will probably work with dishwashing clumps. Wait a couple of days to see if it worked. The bread will get really hard when used in brown sugar and it makes the sugar stay soft. I did this once with sugar that I thought I would have to throw away because it was so hard I couldn't even break it up with a knife.

Best Answer

Doesn't work; brown sugar gets moisture from bread. Don't want moisture in dish detergent; different chemistry. Moisture is what made it hard to begin with. I think hammering it in a plastic bag might be the best solution.

I agree with MCW except that after you have got it down to clumps, I would put it in a blender to get it back down to a powder. afterwards, store in an airtight container to prevent it happening again.

Clumped Detergent
Softening Clumped Dishwasher Detergent
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesMarch 23, 2011
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Dishwasher Detergent
Other Uses for Dishwasher Detergent
Dishwasher Detergent Tablets
Saving Money on Dishwasher Detergent
🎉
🎄