Getting Rid of Flying Insects Outside

I would like to get rid of the mosquitoes, gnats, and other flying things away from where I sit on the porch in my backyard. But I don't want anything that will hurt the lizards, snakes, insects or other helpful animals that eat the "bad" bugs. Does anyone have a recipe for this problem? Thank you!

By Metroplex from Houston

You might try setting burning mosquito coils near you. The smoke will keep away the flying insects. I'm now 70 and in good health so 20 years of burning the coils on Maui (40 years ago) apparently did not affect me. There are also some other commercial products that you can light up to have the same effect. Try looking in your local Lowe's or Home Depot in the insect control section.

Hi DeBushe,

Thank you for your suggestion; I would love and do this, but my husband is sensitive to them. Also citronella, mesquite, and the kind of mosquito things you talked about.

If it were me, I'd do it in a second because they do work. Unfortunately, when I've used them, my husband tells me I need to go bathe! because these kinds of smells give him a headache!

He's the same way with baby powder!

Thanks again and anything else you might suggest would be very welcome. You are the Queen of the mosquito killers!

Best regards,

Metroplex