General AdviceConsumer Advice

Stainless Steel Vs. Plastic Trash Cans

Do you prefer a stainless steel trash can or plastic? I purchased a stainless steel trash can ($60) and I love it. However, I find it hard to clean the inside of the can around the lid between the crevices. I have the kind that you step on and the lid rise. Which do you prefer because I heard that plastic hold odors?

Onesummer

Personally I prefer plastic because they are lighter weight and don't dent. I've had my current one for almost a decade and it still looks like new. Have never had an odor problem but that might be because if any stinky stuff does ooze in/on to it I immediately disinfect with Pinesol after emptying. You could try using an old knife covered with a damp rag and some Pinesol or vinegar to help make the crevice cleaning easier on yours :-)

I prefer plastic - it is lightweight, durable and easy to clean. I do have a suggestion for your metal can though. Clean out the can very well with bleach and hot water. Use a scrub brush to get the crevices clean. Allow the can to dry thoroughly, then use clear silicone caulk and caulk the crevices so that they do not get gunked up again. The next time you buy a can - caulk it before using it. Hope this helps.

We've had both Rubbermaid plastic and a stainless "hybrid" ( red metal body, stainless lid and base) and though the metal can held up well for a long time, after the dog finally dented it to death we went with a Hefty plastic lidded step-on can. it's the best twenty bucks ever spent at Target.

It's narrow and just the right size for the tall kitchen bags; they fit in it tightly and we don't get any of that overflow goop. It's very easy to clean. I just squirt a little dishwashing detergent in there once a week, fill it halfway with hot water to soak for about fifteen minutes, give it a swish and a rinse, and it's done.

The metal cans are beautiful, but for us, just a pain to maintain.