Clumping Mascara

How can I keep my mascara from clumping?

By Victoria from Wilmington, NC

I've started dating all my makeup products. I keep some little stickers handy (like the little rounds ones used for pricing at your garage sale). Whenever I open a new item, it's gets a dated sticker. Really helps in keeping on top of how old my makeup is.

If it's clumping it's too old and is stale and for eye health safety it's best to throw it away and purchase a new tube. Some people might tell you to simply add a little bit of water or mineral oil or whatever to it but old and stale is old and stale and not worth risking using anymore.

I agree with the advice about old mascara, but I'm not sure if you're talking about actually getting clumps when you apply mascara. Some brands say don't let dry between coats of mascara; I've found I have to experiment. Sometimes it's better to let your mascara dry between coats to prevent clumping.

Also, I use an old mascara wand and wash it with soap and water and get all the old mascara off of it. I then use it to run through wet mascara to get rid of clumps. Please don't ever use a pin to separate your eyelashes! An new soft toothbrush will sometimes work. Try a child size toothbrush for easier handling. Hope this helps.

You can also try to run the outside of the mascara tube under hot running water to help thin out mascara. But never add water to the inside of the mascara tube because bacteria will grow in the tube.

Good luck!

Close up of a woman's eye with thick mascara on the lashes
Preventing Clumping Mascara
Health & Beauty Beauty Make Up Tips MascaraOctober 18, 2010
salt shaker
Keeping Salt from Clumping in the Shaker
Open tube of mascara with brush prominent.
Saving Money on Mascara
Removing Mascara
Mascara Tips and Tricks
Mascara Tips and Tricks
🎉
🎄