Making Valances

I need an easy pattern and measuring instructions for valances (balloon or plain). I want to makes some for my bedrooms and for the living room, ND maybe the stairwell window. I am a very novice sewer, haven't done a project in 12 years!

Thanks!
camo_angels from Willamina, OR

Im glad you asked this I'm sure alot of us would like to know this...

Im not a sewer at all, I have a sewing machine for rips and tears.. in

fact I forgot I had it. In my house if a shirt loses a button the shirt is

no good. :) So I would need a super easy pattern.

I have seen design examples where they used colorful napkins placed on the curtain rod as a valance of sorts - no sewing required. I would also suggest using a swag of material across the top of the curtain - you would just have to put up the supports at the corners. Again, practially no sewing required.

The valances I have seen on the market are just big ruffles. I am sure you could just make a piece, put in some elastic in a tube and scrunch it together for a simple valance of sorts.

Use twin sized flat sheets. Depending on how wide the windows are, you may want to cut the sheet legnthwise as opposed to widthwise. The advantage to cutting the width of the sheet is that you really don't have to make a side seam. Decide how long you want the valence, double it and add about 5" for seams and a top ruffle before cutting the sheet - if you use wider than a standard rod, you'll have to add a few more inches to the strip you cut. If you need to make side seams, this is when to do it. Then fold the strip in half, right sides together, and sew a seam about 1/2" from the open edge. Then turn it right side out and iron it flat. Make two seams about 1 1/2" apart to accomodate a standard rod. If you make the higher seam about 1" from the top , it makes a bit of a ruffle when it's on the rod.

If you'd like to be a bit fancier, try this site: http://www.alte  ve-windows.com/. They're a bit more detailed.

Thanky you! I like the Sheets idea....a little less expensive on the fabric.

This may help you:

Here are a few more pages to help measure for windows:

Measuring for valances:

http://www.prio  ance-sp-923.html

Measuring for draperies:

http://www.prio  uide-sp-201.html

Measuring for fabric shades:

http://www.prio  ades-sp-925.html

Hope that helps.

Window Valance
Making a Window Valance
Crafts Home DecorMarch 10, 2006
Neck tie Christmas wreath idea.
Neck Tie Christmas Wreath
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Sloppy joes for a large group.
Making Sloppy Joes for a Large Group
Vietnamese Iced Coffee, Saigon Style
Making Vietnamese Coffee (Cafe Sua Da)
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 11:46:18 PM on 10.0.1.80 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.