Grandma's Special Sauerkraut

It is milder and goes with so many other dishes. Great granddaughter (age 6) always wants "The Special Sauerkraut" and has been known to eat almost the whole can by herself. This is good on top of hot dogs, too.

• 1 can (15-16 oz.) sauerkraut, drained.
  • 1 Tbsp. bacon grease (might need 1 extra tsp. )

Fry on low heat for 25-30 minutes, covered. Stir occasionally to keep it from burning. Uncover and stir. If it is too dry add just a bit of water to keep moist. (A couple of teaspoonfuls should be enough.) Uncover and add pepper to taste. Serve hot. This is tender and not as sour as it comes from the can or just warmed up.

Servings: 4-6
Time:3 Minutes Preparation Time
30 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: My Mom's Mom

By Great Granny Vi

I want to give this a try but since there's only me in the home I need to find out if you know if it will freeze well? I love sauerkraut and this sounds like a really nice treat! :-)

No need to freeze it, Deeli. It will last in the fridge until you eat it. I am the only one here that eats it most of the time too. Remember you can always share. LOL Vi

Thank you so much, Vi! I just took some bacon out of the freezer and put sauerkraut on my market list! And, yes, you're right about sharing :-) I have two neighbors who help me lots who will love it too ;-)

Sauerkraut Recipes
Sauerkraut Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes CondimentsApril 14, 2010
Reuben Sandwich
Reuben Sandwich Recipes
A plate of Polish Bigos
Recipes Using Sauerkraut
Sauerkraut Casserole
Sauerkraut Casserole Recipes
Sauerkraut Salad Recipes