Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Decorating with Wine Bottles

I would like ideas on wine bottle decorations.

Tammy from Nederland, TX

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Cathy from Townsville, QLD (Guest Post)02/18/2009

I saw one where they had a slip-on cover that looked like a waiter's button up vest.

By dede smith [17]02/17/2009

THE BEADED BOTTLE
If you are needing some tips on what to use to deco the bottle itself, for like gift giving and such????
A few beads and bead wire and imagination is all it takes to really turn it out.
Start the wire at the neck base and feed a few beads on.
Twirl the wire around a pencil, and then flatten it to the bottle.
Feed a few more beads on and repeat till you get a good design going.
Looks great if you twist it out to look like a flower, using two shades of light purple, and green for the leafing.

RUBBER MADE
Another really cool trick is to take the wine bottle and fit it into a knee high panty hose. !!Don't forget to make a gift tag stating what kind of wine you are giving!!
Cinch the top of the hosery to the bottle with a good rubberband. You can leave some of the bottle exposed or none at all.

Take an acrylic paint of your choice and go to town!
Painting the panty hose creates a leather like effect.

Finish off the top with a handmade card telling them what kind of wine is inside, and tie whatever floats your boat around the neck to cover the rubberbanded area. I use feather boas, small grape clusters, coins, candy, anything!

By dede smith [17]02/17/2009

I have read on here that it is really hard to cut glass bottles and have them turn out ok, so my idea is to use the whole bottle.
I once visited a vineyard that used them to create a stain glass look to a large window area. Granted they had tons of space, and tons of bottles, all different colors, and yet I can not think of any reason it couldn't be dupped in miniature.

The end product could be affixed to a window, to catch light, or a wall you painted in bright white to show off the color of the glass. Kind of like a giant "shadow box".

Build a frame using wood to hold the bottles when they are laid to stack on their sides. It should be measured out according to the size of bottles you're using and leave about an inch of the bottom of the bottle in sight. So what, about 8 or 10" deep, and wide/tall enough to fit the bottles without leaving any gaps.

They did a large octagon, and stacked the bottles on their sides inside the frame. They had loads of bottles and loads of space, because they repeated the stacking in two layers so that from each side all you saw were the bottoms of the bottles. For a smaller unit, one row would do it, and I would point the top part in, so as to see the bottom sides. The end effect looked like a large "grapes cluster" because they used green, yellow and clear bottles.

My kitchen has a window that sits over a floorboard heater vent. I cover it with shutters/curtains to keep down the view of the neighbors. I have often thought to finish out this area with a shelving unit that covers the window in this type of sculpture/shadow box. It would make a great convo piece and give me some needed shelving space!

P.S. This beautiful piece can be seen at The Meremac Vineyard in St. James Missouri, and I recommend the New World Red!

By ibelissec AT hotmail.com (Guest Post)02/17/2009

I simply add rocks to the bottles with glue (from a craft store) and they look stunning!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Decorating with Wine Bottles

I was wondering if you have any advice about using empty wine bottles for stuff around the house.

Thanks,
Renee

Decorating with Wine Bottles

When I buy a bottle of wine, I usually spend more than average. Let's say $10-$15 because I'm saving the bottle to be used as a flower vase, or just for decorating purposes. You should see all the beautiful and unusual bottles I have all over my home, I get compliments all the time, sometimes the wine doesn't taste that good but if the bottle caught my eye, it's sold! By Carmen (01/06/2006)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Decorating with Wine Bottles

If you get a glass cutter, mark and score the bottle underneath the top to make a vase shape. It could take some practice. Make sure you wear thick gloves, and preferably do this inside a box so that if it shatters, glass fragments are not all over the place. If you didn't want to do this yourself, a glass company may help. (01/06/2006)

By Cathy

RE: Decorating with Wine Bottles

The colored wine bottles make wonderful night lights. After Christmas, purchase sets of 35 to a strand of twinkle lights. Insert the lights into the bottle, take some artificial grapes, and hot glue to the lip of the neck of the bottle. You can also put on a raffia bow and use in any room for a night light. Set them on the kitchen counter, or anywhere you need some light, and they look lovely. I have really dressed them up with all kinds of small ornaments after Christmas and used them for inexpensive gifts. The dark green, and especially the blue bottles, look really pretty with the white twinkle lights inside. Connie (01/06/2006)

By Cmcmamo

RE: Decorating with Wine Bottles

I did not see this, but my sister told me a woman she knows takes her colored bottles and buries them upside down in the yard. She says that the sun catches them, and it really looks pretty. Linda Oceanside, Ca (01/07/2006)

By freedombelle2001

RE: Decorating with Wine Bottles

I use one for a rolling pin, and made English muffins with it today. They look nice lined up on a sunny windowsill. You can root cuttings in them in the spring. I buy vinegar by the gallon and put it in screw-top wine bottles. Hope this helps. (01/07/2006)

By Coreen

RE: Decorating with Wine Bottles

I use the bottles for flavored vinegars, flavored oils, and for dishwashing liquid. You can also keep a pretty wine bottle filled with plain water near the stove, so when you need water you don't have to go to the tap to get it. Keep the bottle corked. (01/07/2006)

By WandaJo

RE: Decorating with Wine Bottles

You can use the wine bottle as a dishwashing soap holder. All you need to do is put in the liquid soap, then get a cork top and make a hole in it for a spout (use one of the ones that are used to water hamsters or other small critters). Also, if you are using pure dishwashing soap and not diluting it with water, you may want to add about 10-20 marbles so that the soap will come out faster. (01/30/2006)

By Gracie from Texas gap10388 at aol. com

RE: Decorating with Wine Bottles

I have made a water feature with a color variety of inverted wine bottles, the kind that have a dimple in the bottom. I dug a hole 18" in diameter and 16" deep. I lined it with heavy plastic that overflows onto the ground and set the pump and some bricks at the bottom. Then I tightly taped together two circles of 20 wine bottles with waterproof tape. Next, I inserted a 12" piece of PVC pipe and the fountain device in the center keeping it centered with plastic bags. I filled up the sides of the hole with gravel and river rock and put cobbles on the top to keep out debris. I covered the overflowing plastic with pea gravel and a circle of large "concrete rhubarb leaves" I had made for stepping stones. Voila...one-of-a-kind fountain! (07/04/2007)

By Joan

Decorating with Wine Bottles

This is simple and easy, just put a long candle into the wine bottle. Light, and with time, the wax of the candle will drip down the bottle. It gives the bottle a nice look, and will be a conversation starter. Be safe when using candles. (06/23/2008)

Archive: Decorating with Wine Bottles

I am looking for ideas to decorate with wine bottles.

Manolisb from Greece

RE: Decorating with Wine Bottles

I think it would be cool to make a wine bottle hanging chandelier! You could use painted 16 gauge baling wire from Home Depot to hang the bottles from. Or you could just set cobalt colored wine bottles on a shelf in a row with tiny Christmas lights or LEDs inside of them.

Back when I was a teenager I made a glass "sculpture" by stacking glass baby food jars on top of each other in rows, then I put a green light behind the stack of glass & it lit up the whole room. It was so simple, but so wonderful & enchanting to look at. With only one light bulb, the whole stack lit up! My mom brought the neighbors in to look at it. (10/15/2008)

By Cyinda

RE: Decorating with Wine Bottles

A bottle tree is nice for outside decoration. There are a lot of ideas online for them. (10/16/2008)

By Karen L

RE: Decorating with Wine Bottles

A friend in Tucson did this. She got a great looking chess board, and used the bottles upside down for legs. She used matching cobalt blue and it was stunning! If you choose solid colored ones, that are smaller, they look wonderful in the window, especially if you have morning sun! (10/17/2008)

By Poor But Proud

RE: Decorating with Wine Bottles

A friend of mine makes lovely kitchen counter lights for gifts. Feed a 25 mini light strand into neck of bottle, and they will bunch up inside. Leave about a 12" length of cord and the plug outside of bottle. Place the cork in the bottle to hold cord. Leave attractive wine labels on the bottle. Tie a bunch of artificial grapes, from your local craft store, and a nice piece of wire ribbon (tied into a bow) at the top of bottle neck. Crystal glass grape clusters are especially pretty at night. That's it! Your color combos are endless with lights, glass bottle color, and ribbons. (11/28/2008)

By Linda