Burning Smell Coming From Garbage Disposal

When I run my garbage disposal I notice a burning smell coming from underneath the sink. This has been happening since I have lived here (4 years). What is causing this?

Pam from Chicago, IL

Is this an OZONE type smell or is it more like BURNT RUBBER/PLASTIC?

If it's the former then it's likely nothing to worry about...as this type of smell often goes along with certain motor types. Though, you should likely still keep an eye on it (as I could be wrong).

If it's the burnt plastic/rubber smell then that is generally not normal as far as I know. You should likely have someone check it out as it could be literally burning up & that could be a fire hazard, or be a cause for electrical shock.

You should make sure that when it's running no water is running onto it's electrical bits...as that could be a cause.

Lastly, whatever the cause, there should likely be NO SMOKE. So watch for that...

If you have a landlord, have him check it out. It it's your home you should have it looked at. A garbage disposal that is running properly should not have a burning smell. Something is getting hot somewhere in there. Have it checked!

I'd be inclined to suspect the hidden restart switch

located towards the back of the disposal unit under the sink. It could be trying to short out or has already done so. Also, there could be something coming from the dryer element, like a bottle cap, if your dishwasher adjoins the same cabinet as the sink. Just an idea that happened to us. Dishwashers

really go out sort of a piece at a time, but disposals

usually go out all at once. Don't ignore it, regardless.

God bless you.

Home and Garden Repair Home Garbage DisposalAugust 28, 2006
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer), Man's hands holding a power screwdriver to a garbage disposal.
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer)
Celery and Banana Going into Garbage Disposal
Cleaning a Garbage Disposal
kitchen sink
Unclogging a Garbage Disposal
Clean garbage disposal drain.
Keeping Garbage Disposal Smelling Fresh