Importance of Using a Potty Chair When Potty Training

This is a potty training tip. I never realized the importance of using a potty chair.

My nephew was taught to use a regular toilet, not a potty chair. As he grew older, he was having trouble moving his bowels. His mother, thought nothing of it, and assumed he would eventually grow out of it as kids sometimes do. In fact, her younger twins were fine "going potty" on their own chairs without having any issues.

He would sit and sit without any bowel activity. Once he did relieve himself, the movement was hard and not normal in size. His diet was fine, he ate plenty of vegetables, fruit, and high fiber. His mother was getting frustrated thinking he was "holding back" and causing his own discomfort. Also, the toilet he used was often becoming clogged. They had a plumber come and he could not find anything wrong with the toilet.

When he was six, she finally talked to the pediatrician hoping for some advice about curing his emotional problem with moving his bowels. She was surprised at what she was told.

As a child learns to potty train, their feet should have leverage, they should not hang. There are special muscles that "push out" bowel movements. Pushing down on your feet help develop these muscles.

Since my nephew never used these muscles because his feet would hang, they never developed properly. This made it physically difficult for him. His mother was so upset that all this time she felt it was him, never knowing it was a physical problem.

She was given exercises for him to do so he could develop the muscles. After a few months, he is getting better. She was told that a child should use a stool for their feet if they do not use a potty chair. This way they have leverage when they "go".

I have never heard of this but I have known many other children who have had this trouble and wonder if that was their problem. I hope this helps anyone who is in process of potty training their children.

Source: My niece

By mkymlp from NE PA

Top Comment

Because for some people Teresa, the closer to the natural squatting position that they can get, the better the bowel movements and the less problems they have, bowel wise.

Most people don't realize that sitting on a toilet can actually put pressure on certain nerves that are used to evacuate the bowels, and that can cause a multitude of troubles. Most people also do not realize overseas, in most places, you don't even get what we in America consider the norm. You get holes in the floor (Some are very nice) and using them places us in a more natural position than our American toilets do. Using a stool/bench, even after the feet can touch the ground, helps corrects that for some.

Growing up we always had a small step stool to elevate our feet. To this day my kids and I still use a small bench. The only problem is my kids found it difficult when they went to college to get use to not having it! same with when on vacation. If you have problems, or you kids to I would strongly urge you to try this.

I don't understand why would you need a stool after you get tall enough for your feet to touch the floor?

A child's feet sitting on a toilet during potty training.
Potty Training Your Child
Parenting Toddler and Preschooler Potty TrainingOctober 22, 2009
Young child's feet dangling as they sit on the potty.
Creative Potty Training Ideas
Toddler boy sitting on potty chair holding a book
Potty Training a Toddler
Recycled wooden chair planter.
Making a Chair Planter
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair