Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

We have 2 pets and they eat their poop. I can't seem to break them of this habit. What do we do?

By Deb from Mason City, IA

By Cindy [3]03/08/2011

Hi Deb! you didn't mention the age of your pets or how long they have been eating their own feces. Is this a new or longer term habit?

All three of our dogs ate their feces as puppies and two of them outgrew the nasty habit between 8 and 10 months of age. However, the middle one (over six years old, now) still does so on occasion. Our only solution has been to keep the pooper-scooper handy and in regular use!

We've tried many of the "anti poop eating" products and nothing deters his appetite for the stuff. As well, his vet claims the dog is healthy with no obvious nutrient deficiencies that would cause him to crave poop. The darn dog just laps it up. :-(

If I were you, I would first work with your vet to eliminate any possibility of a health issue and then try some of the "anti poop eating" products. They do work well for many dogs.

However, just a "heads up" observation from experience that for some of these fur kids, the daily use of a pooper-scooper is the only sure fire solution in stopping the behavior. Good Luck!

By renee03/08/2011

I work in the pet industry and they do sell a few things for your issue (potty mouth) is the one that comes to mind, but I have also had customers tell me that they will give their dogs pineapple and another said pickles. I would double check with your vet to make sure, but they both taste good the first time but not the second time.

By Robyn03/08/2011

We had that problem with one of our dogs and the vet recommended sprinkling Accent meat tenderizer on her dry food because dogs love the taste when the food is going in, but the taste is terrible when it comes out. That did the trick for our dog!

By Jill [4]03/07/2011

You can purchase a safe product at the pet store that you add to the poop to make it taste bad. Other than that, you probably need to talk to your vet.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Dog Eating Its Own Feces

We have a Shih Tzu, it's about eleven weeks old and has started to eat its own poo every time it goes to the toilet. We have been told that this is natural, but there are products which can prevent them from doing this. We would be very grateful if anybody has some advice that would stop this.

Des from Ireland

RE: Dog Eating Its Own Feces

There is some stuff at PetSmart I just saw this past weekend, something along the lines of Yucky, Yucky Poo, you know a silly catchy name. Go to any pet store and they have a bitter agent that you add to the dog's food and it will make it stop. Then try out Cesar Milan for dog problems, he's a great resource for all dog problems. http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/dogwhisperer/cesar.html (03/25/2007)

By michawnpita

RE: Dog Eating Its Own Feces

Yes, I have a 6 year old yellow Labrador Retriever that does this too. The vet said it's odd because usually only small pups do this (although, he is not all that bright, so...). There is an OTC food additive you can buy to add to their food to which makes the stool distasteful (like this is necessary?). It is expensive, but effective. The only problem is that once you stop the food additive, they resume the behavior. I guess you have to decide what you're willing to put up with. I'll bet we humans have behaviors that dogs think are odd or disgusting too (like brushing our teeth, bathing regularly, or (gasp) throwing away food). (03/27/2007)

By Debbie in SC

RE: Dog Eating Its Own Feces

My vet told us to put meat tenderizer on the poop. Must be it makes it nasty tasting. (03/27/2007)

By kseahag

RE: Dog Eating Its Own Feces

I heard that if you put flavor enhancer (one brand sold over here in the States is called "Accent" the ingredient is MSG or Monosodium Glutamate) on their food, that will stop them from eating the poo. Good luck. (03/27/2007)

By Lynn from CA

RE: Dog Eating Its Own Feces

I have read that pineapple fed to the dog will stop the disgusting habit. I have a puppymill rescue who has this nasty habit. I get her away from the poop and pick it up fast. Haven't tried the pineapple as yet, myself. (03/29/2007)

By daiquiri

RE: Dog Eating Its Own Feces

We had a dog awhile back that did the same thing, our vet told us the dog wasn't getting all the nutrients it needed and when he did his job, he would go back and eat it. Vet said get a good kind of food for him and he will stop eating his own stuff. We found Old Roy dog food, seemed to do the trick. Never had the problem again. Just make sure there are extra minerals or such in the food, like us with our vitamins. (08/14/2007)

Archive: Dog Eating Its Own Feces

I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel who was used for breeding, the owner no longer wants her. I have found, after 1 week with us, that she eats, at every opportunity, her own stools. Does anyone know how to stop her?

By Barbara A. from Chesterfield, England

RE: Dog Eating Its Own Feces

Here is the link I promised and I would add a benadryl caplet to help it calm down and start giving one or two fish oil pills each day; good for skin and also good for health. Put a little apple cider vinegar on its coat, maybe a teaspoonful every so often and he will lick it off. Here are Drs Foster and Smith and their product to add to the dogs food: www.drsfostersmith.com

Also if one benadryl doesn't calm her down, look on the internet for dosage of benadryl for dogs. I give my Shepherd two benadryls at the vets advice. He has a skin problem and the fish oil and benadryl has helped so much.

Blessings, Robyn (07/08/2009)

By Robyn Fed

RE: Dog Eating Its Own Feces

Feed your dog pineapple. They don't like the taste on the other end. (07/09/2009)

By jclaridge

RE: Dog Eating Its Own Feces

Just a word of caution, dog's can be allergic to pineapple. A friend gave some to her dog and the dog's head swelled and she had an allergic reaction and she had to bring the to the vet. It doesn't seem very common, but its something to think about. (07/09/2009)

By ~Sasha~

RE: Dog Eating Its Own Feces

My dog ate his own feces because he was very sick. Have you seen a vet? Also I have heard of them eating poop from boredom, just like chewing rocks. Good luck. (07/09/2009)

By Starchild in VT

RE: Dog Eating Its Own Feces

My dog eats the cat feces out of the litter box. Anyways I was watching Animal Planet and they say it is something in their diet that they are lacking, but there is some over the counter stuff they sell at pet stores. I bought mine at Pet Smart it is a pill you give them once a day it is supposed to be habit breaking. It is Excel Deter Coprophagous treatment it says it's a behavioral aid. I give it to the dog for a while then stop she stops eating it for a couple months then starts up again. I might give her 1 pill every couple of months or so. (07/10/2009)

By sleepy824

RE: Dog Eating Its Own Feces

My chocolate lab started doing this mid-life. I talked to her vet about it. There is a powder that I sprinkled on her food for about a week and it was the end of it. I can't imagine poop tasting good in the first place, but the vet said with this stuff, it will taste really bad to her. If your pet likes to eat your cat's poop, then you feed it to the cat. Won't help with neighborhood animals droppings or wildlife. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of it, but any vet will know. All I can say is it worked in just a few days. Also, cleaning up often helps too. (07/10/2009)

By Maggie85

Archive: Dog Eating Its Own Feces

I know this is gross, but I have to ask if anyone knows what to do about a puppy eating its poo. How can I stop it and why is it doing this?

Archive: Dog Eating Its Own Feces

Today I noticed that after I fed my female Pit bull (6 weeks old) some food she seemed more hungry, then she ate her own poop. It was so gross. Why is that?

Archive: Dog Eating Its Own Feces

Will my 10 week old puppy get diarrhea from consuming her own stool?