Dog Eating Its Own Feces

We have 2 pets and they eat their poop. I can't seem to break them of this habit. What do we do?

By Deb from Mason City, IA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

You can purchase a safe product at the pet store that you add to the poop to make it taste bad. Other than that, you probably need to talk to your vet.

We had that problem with one of our dogs and the vet recommended sprinkling Accent meat tenderizer on her dry food because dogs love the taste when the food is going in, but the taste is terrible when it comes out. That did the trick for our dog!

I work in the pet industry and they do sell a few things for your issue (potty mouth) is the one that comes to mind, but I have also had customers tell me that they will give their dogs pineapple and another said pickles. I would double check with your vet to make sure, but they both taste good the first time but not the second time.

Hi Deb! you didn't mention the age of your pets or how long they have been eating their own feces. Is this a new or longer term habit?

All three of our dogs ate their feces as puppies and two of them outgrew the nasty habit between 8 and 10 months of age. However, the middle one (over six years old, now) still does so on occasion. Our only solution has been to keep the pooper-scooper handy and in regular use!

We've tried many of the "anti poop eating" products and nothing deters his appetite for the stuff. As well, his vet claims the dog is healthy with no obvious nutrient deficiencies that would cause him to crave poop. The darn dog just laps it up. :-(

If I were you, I would first work with your vet to eliminate any possibility of a health issue and then try some of the "anti poop eating" products. They do work well for many dogs.

However, just a "heads up" observation from experience that for some of these fur kids, the daily use of a pooper-scooper is the only sure fire solution in stopping the behavior. Good Luck!

Answer

A dog licking his lips.
Dog Eating Its Own Feces
Pets Dogs HealthMarch 7, 2011
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
Couple being served a Salad
Eating Healthy While Eating Out
A bulldog eating too fast.
Preventing a Dog From Eating Too Fast
Dog Stool
Dog's Stool is Green
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 10:10:31 AM on 10.0.1.206 in 638 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.