Transferring Pictures to Fabric

I recently got married and I want to make a memory quilt. We had everyone sign fabric swatches, but I'd also like to include pictures as well. How do I transfer pictures to fabric?

Kimberley S. from Hanover, PA

You can buy printable iron on transfer paper at the store. Just scan in a picture then print onto the special paper, cut and iron. (Follow any special instructions that comes with the package) Super easy and a great family project.

The transfer paper can be bought at a fabric or craft store. I bought the kind that is for copiers. I had Office Max print the pictures with their copier and using my transfer paper. You cannot have them copy pictures taken professional though unless you get a signed release from the photographer. So if you do it yourself with your laser jet printer you will have to buy transfer paper specifically for laser jet printer. I had digital pictures of my own and did not want to use up my ink. It's not that hard to do. Sometimes the picture does not all get transfered. So if you see that happening you can gently lay the paper back down and reiron that spot over again. All the instuctions are on the box.

At JoAnn's you can find paper-backed fabric sheets that allow you to print from your ink jet printer directly onto the fabric. Be CAREFUL, though, some of the brands are NOT washable. As a matter of fact, you can't even get them wet! You buy the sheets, print on them just like you would if you were printing a regular picture. You remove the paper backing, follow directions to set the picture and then cut it and sew it into your quilt! Easy peasy.

You can use freezer paper, iron the shiney side to a piece of fabric, I find that light beige or white fabric works best (it probably depends on you printer)insert the freezer paper in the paper drawer & put the picture on the window or print from your computer. I've been doing this a lot & it is much cheaper than buying the special paper from the craft stores.

May 3, 2011 Flag

I used Print 'n Press Iron-On Ink Jet Transfer and followed the instructions. Unfortunately when I peeled back the paper only a small portion of the picture transferred to the fabric. Any suggestions on what I may have done wrong?

By Donna from Brunswick, GA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know what the problem is. I have never tried it with home made transfers. I have had the same problem with boughten iron on pictures and that even happens when I make sure I follow the directions to the letter.

I have found that if you iron the transfers on a padded ironing board it doesn't work as well as you need a harder surface. I take a board the width and length of the t-shirt and about 1/2 inch thick. Cover is with a pillow case and then slip the shirt over the covered board, centering it and smoothing it out. Iron on med-low heat (or as indicated by the instructions) in circular motions ironing small sections at a time for 15 seconds. Go over the entire transfer again to complete the amount of time in the instructions, usually 3 to 4 minutes. Be sure to press all curves and edges well. This method has worked well for me. I have made several t-shirts like this and they have turned out very nice.

Ooops...didn't proofread very well. I meant "cover it" (the board) with a pillowcase.

Crafts QuiltingOctober 25, 2007
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
Gold picture frame.
Cleaning Picture Frames
Glass Blocks
Putting Pictures on Lighted Glass Blocks
A picture frame on a plaster wall.
Hanging Pictures on Plaster Walls
🎉
🎄