Skin Care For Less

Kelly Ann Butterbaugh

Magazines and television today are overflowing with advertisements for skin care products, expensive skin care products. In a society focused on looking perfect and young, this is expected. However, while I'll never look like the glamorous women I see on TV, I can keep a tight skin regimen for much less than the ads on TV advertise.

Moisturizers

Moisturizing is the key to healthy skin. However, many moisturizers leave the skin feeling greasy, and others cost a fortune. Moist skin shows less wrinkles; imagine them as "plumping" with moisture. Apply moisturizer around the eyes nightly and before applying makeup. You'll notice a difference in fine lines almost immediately.

For those who want a tan, try the tinted moisturizers. These moisturizers, like Jergens Natural Glow, don't turn the skin orange. Instead, they look natural, raising the natural skin tone a few hues. Never use tanning beds or lie in the sun for hours looking for a tan.

A brand name isn't always best in this case. Brands like Eucerine and Vasoline Intensive Care are quite pricey. Instead, look for store brands that include the same ingredients. Likewise, Suave makes a line of moisturizers that is more than reasonable, doesn't aggravate sensitive skin, and works well. Moisturizers with vitamin E pumped into them are best, and applying the moisturizer after showering is even better. No one can apply moisturizer to skin once a week and expect miracles. Consistency is key.

Don't forget the tried and true products, either. Petroleum jelly is still the best product for tough dry skin on heels and elbows. Apply some before bed, slip on a pair of white socks, and the sandpaper on your heels will feel softer in the morning. Cold cream, the kind Grandma used to use, is great for the facial skin as well. Remove makeup with the product, and then dab a bit around the eyes and other facial areas before bed. Both products are available in store brands.

For those wrinkles that remain? Embrace them. They're a natural part of our lives, and who we are doesn't change by the wrinkles on our faces. Remember when they used to be called "laugh lines?" Since when did happiness fall out of style?

Eat Healthy

Skin reflects your diet, and drinking enough water will improve the skin. While other fluids may keep you hydrated, water is essential for the skin to be at its best. Full, moist skin looks younger and glows. Eyes especially look younger after a good night's sleep and plenty of water.

Vitamin A is a requirement for skin and can be gotten from a healthy diet of vegetables. A daily vitamin isn't a bad idea, either.

Acne

Those with mild acne are often convinced that the expensive three and four step treatments such as Proactive are best. While I won't argue that they don't work, there is a better, cheaper way to clear the acne. First off, these products rely on a common ingredient: benzoyl peroxide. Benzoyl peroxide soap can be purchased at pharmacies in its plain form for a fraction of the acne kit's cost. Using it daily with a non-comedogenic skin conditioning moisturizer will help both the budget and the skin.

While the kits direct users to use the product consistently even when there are no breakouts, remember that their goal is to sell more of their product. Instead, once the initial battle with acne is under control use it once a week to manage the skin's oil production. Daily use can be limited to those times when breakouts are known to occur. Learn how your skin responds to the treatment and work with that after researching acne with a doctor or a reputable website.

Vaseline does the job for me, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

You are so right! I'm a pharmacist and learned how to do different creams and moisturizers in university. The difference between face moisturizers does so NOT motivate the huge difference in price, according to me.

All face lotions contain mainly 2 things; water (70-95%!) and an oil phase, usually a mineral oil or derived from canola oil. A typical moisturizer costs only pennies to make! Look at the price tag, who's making the profit?

A lot of the creams will have added vitamins and minerals to them, but guess what? There is no proof, whatsoever, that adding vitamins of minerals to the skin surface will have any effect at all.

In my own experience, it is much more important what you do to the inside of the body. Look at a smokers' skin, usually not in good condition, right? (sorry smokers, nothing personal! :) ) I believe lots of vitamins, fresh fruit and water (not soda) is the best way to achieve better skin. I also take fish oil supplements and eat a lot of fish, and I think it makes a difference.

I put petroleum jelly on the TOP of my eyes to protect my lids. I also get LOTS of free samples from manufacturers which stretches my moisturizer & I always am looking for sale and good deals. Why not get bargain anti-wrinkle products? The new ones really make a difference! And the moisturizers that have sunscreen are really a must nowadays. I have even gotten perfectly good eyecream at the 99 Cent Store and I also look for very good online sales at sites like Avon & get things when there is not cost for SHIPPING. Fyi, you can also blend lotions. I do that if the anti-wrinkle formula is too MUCH for my sensitive skin. Some of them feel as is you are resurfacing your skin, and I can only use them sparingly or in a lighter mixture.

I cut open a capsule of Vitamin E at night, just the right amount for 2 eyes and they go on sale so regularly that its minimal cost for a couple months worth.

Woman wearing a beauty mask.
Saving Money on Skin Care
Health & Beauty Beauty AdviceAugust 10, 2009
Square Foot Gardening
The Basics of Square Foot Gardening
A woman cleaning her face with skin toner.
Homemade Skin Toner
Skin Care Products
Selling Unused Hair and Skin Care Products
Homemade Shave Cream
Homemade Shaving Cream Recipes
🎉
🎄