Browsing: Causes of Ear Itching

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Causes of Ear Itching

Having an itch in your ear can be very annoying. Knowing the cause can help in finding a remedy. This is a guide about causes for ear itching.

A man scratching his ear.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 15, 2010 Flag

What's wrong with me if my ears itch?

By Makenzie

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have had numerous ear problems my whole life with chronic ear infections being the root cause of my problem. Ear and fungal infections can both cause itchiness in the ear. It is important that you see an ENT to diagnose what you have because treatment is different for ear infections and fungal infections. Ciprodex can help if you have an ear infection. However, I had used Ciprodex on a fungal infection and it made my ear very wet and itchy and much worse. It was eventually cured with a violet (purple-ish) liquid that an ENT can put in your ear with a special swab. It requires about 3-4 applications. I suggest you speak to your ENT about this. It is important to know what you have before treating it.

Best Answer

I have just gone to an ENT for that specific problem. He said it is dryness and to NOT use peroxide, as it is drying. Use a drop or two of sweet oil or olive oil. It works. Do not use cotton buds or anything in the ear as you can experience an injury very easily. I know.

Best Answer

You could possibly have an infection in there. It's not like an inner ear infection where you have to take antibiotics for 10 days. I used to get infections a lot when I was a kid. For me, it was caused by bacteria in the public pool that I went to a lot during the summer. See your doc.

Read More Answers...

February 20, 2014 Flag

Bed time for me is a time for ringing noises and itching ears. What could be the cause? One thing I have and suffer from is that my ear builds up lots of wax, which means I get my ears cleaned every year. I never had the disco and dancers in my ear until this year.

By King from Dublin, Ireland

Best Answer

Usually the ringing is not related to ear wax. It is called tinnitus and is one of the joys of getting older. The trick is to just forget about it and not let it annoy you.

Best Answer

Perhaps you need your ears cleaned more often. I would start with that. If that doesn't help, see a doctor.

May 27, 2015 Flag

How to stop my ears from itching? I was diagnosed with an ear infection in both ears last week. I have been taking antibiotics and using ears drops that have been prescribed, however my ears are still itching. What can I do to stop the itching and how soon will the meds kick in?

This is a question you need to ask your doctor. Tell him or her you are having this problem and ask how soon the meds are supposed to start working.

Not too sure what to do to stop the itching, but I will share about my own itching issue here, and perhaps you can gain some insight: Most of my life, I had ear itching quite frequently. Sometimes it drove me nuts. About 10 years ago, I found out I have quite a few allergies, among them dairy. When I don't have dairy, my ears never itch. When I do, they itch from the dairy, and some of the other things I am allergic to as well, including pollens and grasses. Long story short, the itching is likely a reaction to something, and it is somewhat possible that your infection could have been caused by an over-production of wax that couldn't drain fast enough, from allergy as well.

Could be a yeast infection. Antibiotics will make it worse. I would use a 1/2 white vinegar 1/2 alcohol mix. You can also add some peroxide and/or a little bit of betadine/povidine solution (NOT betadine scrub as that has soap in it!!)

FYI One time I had a very very itchy ear and a doctor noticed a tiny black hair on the eardrum. One day about a year later it finally came out on a qtip and it did'nt itch anymore. It was probably a dog hair as i have many of them. It looked like an eyelash though. And other doctors could not see it and made me feel a little stupid for asking about it LOL. What can you do...

July 18, 2013 Flag

I already had tympanoplasty surgery in my right ear, but it failed for some reason. Now in my right ear dry itching comes very often and to stop that I am using ear buds. I want to know what may be the reasons for this itchiness in my right ear and how can I stop that?

By John

I've heard there could be one of two causes, if not both (in my case, anyway). One: Allergies. Two: People with fibromyalgia (which I have) seem to suffer with ear itching a lot. As for remedies, I'm sorry to say I don't have any. I wish I did, though. My right ear, in particular, itches almost constantly.

When I got tested for my first hearing aids not too long ago I asked the technician about that. He recommended a squirt of vinegar in the ear, then flush with rubbing alcohol. The alcohol removes all water in the ear - which is good.

I've been adding a tiny dash of dish detergent to the vinegar to speed up the process.

Hi I'm 17 who also had hearing aids. Yes my ears do itch too. It is not cause of your ear buds, it could be the wax in the middle of your ear canal that made your ear itch. I recommend go to an ENT to get it out they use a special ear vac to suck the ear wax out. If still itch try to drop baby oil with a dropper in your ears let them in for overnight and flush then with the blue tube thing that they have in the ears wax drop box and flush the wax out in the morning.

Read More Answers...

October 15, 2014 Flag

What makes the ear to itch that ends up irritating it?

By Sebeo from Botswana, Molepolole

Bacteria?

You picking at it, digging in it?

April 17, 2013 Flag

I have been having this problem over the years. My ears are very itching especially when wet. I can't stop scratching it with my finger or with the cotton puds. I need help please, it's annoying me all of the time.

By Sal from Australia

I use Blistex. It is a medicated lip ointment here in the USA. It is in a tube and says it is an external analgesic. I use it for many, many, many things. Itchy places on bodies, pain on skin, on lips, insect bites, itchy ears, and many, many more.

Hope this helps, it sure is something I've used for many years, and would not do without.

First thing to do is see a doctor. You write that your ears itch more when wet and that is usually a sign of either fungus, chronic infection or impacted ear wax.

If it's a fungus or chronic infection, antibiotics will clear it up, and your GP will also give you information on keeping the condition from recurring. And if it's ear wax, your GP can safely remove excess wax with equipment in his/her office. Btw, if it is ear wax, the cotton buds are only making it worse by pushing the wax deeper into the ear canal.

If the GP visit doesn't solve it (and it more than likely will), try using a non-sulfate shampoo. You'll have to read a lot of labels to find the ones that don't have any ingredients containing the word sulfate (example: sodium laurel sulfate).

Long story short I suffered incredibly itchy ears and scalp for decades-GP couldn't figure it out, sent me to all manner of specialists but nothing helped. That was in the US and they all called it eczema but after moving to the UK my new GP said to try non-sulfate shampoo and body wash. My ears never itched again from the first use. My scalp is clear too.

This is very good to know...Thank you so very much for helping people with their problems...you are a God send....I appreciate you and your helping people and your taking the time to explain and giving a solution. God Bless You....

Read More Answers...
Load More
Health & Beauty AdviceFebruary 10, 2013
Young woman scratching her head furiously.
Dandruff Remedies
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
buzzing in your ear
Buzzing in Your Ears
Elephant Ear Plant
Wintering an Elephant Ear Plant
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 7:35:09 PM on 10.0.2.7 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.