Causes of Ear Itching

Having an itch in your ear can be very annoying. Knowing the cause can help in finding a remedy. This is a guide about causes for ear itching.

A man scratching his ear.
Filter Sort

Question: What might be causing an itchy ear?

By makenzie 1

What's wrong with me if my ears itch?

By Makenzie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

My doctor said that pain or itching in ears is sometimes caused by teeth problems. See a dentist.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I have had numerous ear problems my whole life with chronic ear infections being the root cause of my problem. Ear and fungal infections can both cause itchiness in the ear. It is important that you see an ENT to diagnose what you have because treatment is different for ear infections and fungal infections. Ciprodex can help if you have an ear infection. However, I had used Ciprodex on a fungal infection and it made my ear very wet and itchy and much worse. It was eventually cured with a violet (purple-ish) liquid that an ENT can put in your ear with a special swab. It requires about 3-4 applications. I suggest you speak to your ENT about this. It is important to know what you have before treating it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Betty 14 78 Flag

I have just gone to an ENT for that specific problem. He said it is dryness and to NOT use peroxide, as it is drying. Use a drop or two of sweet oil or olive oil. It works. Do not use cotton buds or anything in the ear as you can experience an injury very easily. I know.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Barbara Pope 12 98 Flag

You could possibly have an infection in there. It's not like an inner ear infection where you have to take antibiotics for 10 days. I used to get infections a lot when I was a kid. For me, it was caused by bacteria in the public pool that I went to a lot during the summer. See your doc.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Remedy for Ringing and Itching Ears

Bed time for me is a time for ringing noises and itching ears. What could be the cause? One thing I have and suffer from is that my ear builds up lots of wax, which means I get my ears cleaned every year. I never had the disco and dancers in my ear until this year.

By King from Dublin, Ireland

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

Usually the ringing is not related to ear wax. It is called tinnitus and is one of the joys of getting older. The trick is to just forget about it and not let it annoy you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

Perhaps you need your ears cleaned more often. I would start with that. If that doesn't help, see a doctor.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Remedy for Ear Itching

I already had tympanoplasty surgery in my right ear, but it failed for some reason. Now in my right ear dry itching comes very often and to stop that I am using ear buds. I want to know what may be the reasons for this itchiness in my right ear and how can I stop that?

By John

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By An T. 2 Flag

Hi I'm 17 who also had hearing aids. Yes my ears do itch too. It is not cause of your ear buds, it could be the wax in the middle of your ear canal that made your ear itch. I recommend go to an ENT to get it out they use a special ear vac to suck the ear wax out. If still itch try to drop baby oil with a dropper in your ears let them in for overnight and flush then with the blue tube thing that they have in the ears wax drop box and flush the wax out in the morning.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Treating Itchy Ears

I have been having this problem over the years. My ears are very itching especially when wet. I can't stop scratching it with my finger or with the cotton puds. I need help please, it's annoying me all of the time.

By Sal from Australia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie 11 1,695 Flag

First thing to do is see a doctor. You write that your ears itch more when wet and that is usually a sign of either fungus, chronic infection or impacted ear wax.

If it's a fungus or chronic infection, antibiotics will clear it up, and your GP will also give you information on keeping the condition from recurring. And if it's ear wax, your GP can safely remove excess wax with equipment in his/her office. Btw, if it is ear wax, the cotton buds are only making it worse by pushing the wax deeper into the ear canal.

If the GP visit doesn't solve it (and it more than likely will), try using a non-sulfate shampoo. You'll have to read a lot of labels to find the ones that don't have any ingredients containing the word sulfate (example: sodium laurel sulfate).

Long story short I suffered incredibly itchy ears and scalp for decades-GP couldn't figure it out, sent me to all manner of specialists but nothing helped. That was in the US and they all called it eczema but after moving to the UK my new GP said to try non-sulfate shampoo and body wash. My ears never itched again from the first use. My scalp is clear too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Remedy for Itchy Ears

By jacquelyne35 1

How to stop my ears from itching? I was diagnosed with an ear infection in both ears last week. I have been taking antibiotics and using ears drops that have been prescribed, however my ears are still itching. What can I do to stop the itching and how soon will the meds kick in?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Kat 7 219 Flag

Not too sure what to do to stop the itching, but I will share about my own itching issue here, and perhaps you can gain some insight: Most of my life, I had ear itching quite frequently. Sometimes it drove me nuts. About 10 years ago, I found out I have quite a few allergies, among them dairy. When I don't have dairy, my ears never itch. When I do, they itch from the dairy, and some of the other things I am allergic to as well, including pollens and grasses. Long story short, the itching is likely a reaction to something, and it is somewhat possible that your infection could have been caused by an over-production of wax that couldn't drain fast enough, from allergy as well.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Causes and Remedy for Itchy Ear

What makes the ear to itch that ends up irritating it?

By Sebeo from Botswana, Molepolole

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jessica Married'too T. 2 Flag

You picking at it, digging in it?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Remedy for Itchy Ears

I have had itchy ears for some time now and the last time I visited an ENT I was given antibiotics and it stop for almost a year and now it has started again. Please what might be the cause of it? Thank you.

By Jenny from Accra, Ghana

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie 11 1,695 Flag

If the antibiotics stopped the itch for a year, it sounds as though what ever conditions caused the itch in the first place have caused it again.

You live in Ghana which is a tropical country, is it possible the environmental conditions there have exposed you to a fungus? Tropical countries are wonderful places to live but unfortunately come with lots of fungal infection conducive conditions.

For example, I lived in Guatemala for 2.5 years and on my return to the USA it took my doctor several years to figure out I had picked up a fungal infection whilst in Central America. The antibiotics would clear it up enough to stop the horrible itch but then as soon as it got warm and humid (I was living in the US Deep South) the fungal infection would flare up and I would be back in the doctor's office.

He thought I had recurring ear infections and didn't think to test me for a tropical fungus until I read something in a travel magazine and took the article to him. Once the test results came back I was put on the right medication and while I had to take the meds for close to two years, the fungus was cleared and I'm fine now.

Perhaps you might ask your doctor to test you for a fungus. The test is painless: the doctor gently scrapes the area where the itch is worse to gather several samples of dead skin cells. He/she then either cultures the samples in the clinic lab or sends the samples to a centralised lab for culturing and a diagnosis. The results take about two weeks to come back.

The proper medication to completely clear the fungus may need to be taken for as long as 6-12 months but is very much worth it!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Itchy Ears After Using Medication for Swimmer's Ear

I was diagnosed with swimmers ear on Friday, and ever since I started taking the antibiotics my ears have been itching like crazy, to the extent where it's kept me up all night. Could I be allergic to the medicine? I've had swimmers ear before and usually it's a relief to out in the drops, but now it makes them feel worse.

By Posy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By An T. 2 Flag

Try the Hyland's earache drop it also calm the ears for cold and flu, swimmer's ear, and allergy. Also it soothes itchy ears.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: What might be causing an itchy ear?

I get this terrible itching

and tickling going on inside my ear, mostly in my right ear and every now and then in the

other ear as well. It just drives me nuts. I know I should just go see my Dr., but I thought

I'd ask here first. It doesn't appear that I have wax in my ear, although, it could be way

inside. I did try putting some hydrogen peroxide, but that didn't do anything, nothing came

out.

Debbie52 from IL

Feedback:

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

I had something similar, I swore there was a bug in my ear, but the Dr. said it was an

infection. I hate the feeling of wetness in my ears after a shower and washing my hair so used

swabs to dry them, a no-no. That caused my infection. Now I use a a liquid dryer made

especially for ears. (04/26/2006)

By Wendee

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

I had that, and sometimes with just a little clear watery discharge when sleeping. The Dr.

diagnosed my problem as eczema, probably allergy induced. I was prescribed an anti-
    inflammatory and anti-itch ointment that I apply as needed,which is only once or twice a week for

me. (04/27/2006)

By Alex

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

An Audiologist once told me that if a person uses Q-tip swabs all the time to clean his ears

(the wax was meant to lubricate the ear canal) and removes all the wax, the canal will dry out

and cause terrible itching. Then, they'll keep using the Q-tips to scratch the ear canal,

which might cause an irritation. The Q-tips will also compact the wax at the end of the canal

against the ear drum. Infection is usually in the inner ear, not the canal, although you can

get "swimmer's ear" which is a fungal problem in the canal. Peroxide will soften wax in the

canal. You'll know if some is there cause it will fizz a lot.

If you continue to have problems, I'd say to see a doctor, but most have few audiology

classes. Do you have a college near-by that has a Speech-Language pathology department? If so,

make an appointment to see their Audiologist. The cost at these schools is minimal since

they're teaching schools. If you need a referral or medication, they can usually take care of

that cheap too. (04/27/2006)

By susanmajp

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

Allergies will cause ears to itch. See your doctor. (04/27/2006)

By Robin

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

I had the same problem. Went to the Dr. and I had a single strand of hair sitting on my ear

drum. He took it right out and it was instant relief. (04/29/2006)

By Kim H.

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

Several years ago, I complained to my doctor about the itchy ear. He said I probably have

swimmer's ear and suggested two things. The first thing was to use a blue syringe (the ones

the hospital gives you to clean out baby's noses after delivering a baby) and fill it with

warm water and spray the water in your ears. I spray each ear twice at the end of my shower.

The second thing is to put rubbing alcohol (75% strength) in my ear to dry up the water or any

liquid in my ear.

I have been doing this for many years regularly, and I have had a minimal number of

problems. I realize that if you have allergies, this idea won't help. But for those who have

swimmer's ear, it will help. (05/23/2006)

By ldsgenemom

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

My doctor said that pain or itching in ears is sometimes caused by teeth problems. See a

dentist. (09/23/2006)

By Maggie

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

I have lots of allergies and also get a terrible itch inside my ears, on my palate, and behind

my nose. It's definitely allergies in my case, usually caused by stress, exposure to

cats/dogs, and using a Q-tip to clean out the wax. I have found that gargling with Listerine,

full strength (any flavor), a few times a day really helps. Sometimes the relief is instant.

The alcohol must do something to the mucous membranes. (11/07/2006)

By allergictoeverything

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

I've always found relief for itchy ears by using one or the other of the following OTC stuff:

1% hydrocortisone cream; tea tree oil (fights fungus but smells bad!);
    jojoba oil (a good, natural moisturizer); and a concoction I got off the Internet that

combines hydrocortisone, aloe vera and tea tree oil. I think it's called Ear Itch Relief cream

from medpure.com. (02/19/2007)

By Geo

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

I've suffered with itchy ears almost all my life, (since 8). I've been to ENT thinking it was

an allergy. He prescribed a medication that helped, but no real relief. Later I had my primary

care doc give me an allergen test. I tested negative. What a shocker, I'm not allergic to

anything environmental.

This year I went to the dermatologist for the severe dandruff problem that I've suffered

with. To make a long story short. The itching in my ears is caused by ear dandruff. (Sounds

crazy I know.) My ears are extremely dry inside and to my surprise, your ears can develop

dandruff just like my scalp. The Dermatologist gave me samples for an ear drop called DermOtic

Oil, it works. It stops the itch almost instantly. I go back on Thursday 10/18/2007, I will

ask for a prescription. If interested, here's the web site for the product <a

href="http://www.hillderm.com/skin-disease-treatments/itchy-ears.shtml">hillderm.com (10/16/2007)

By MNikkiB

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

I suffer from itchy right ear ans some times in the left ear. Whatever happens you mustn't use

a cotton bud, the wax in your ear is a good thing, when it builds up it actuality stops the

itchiness. If you take out th wax your ear becomes dry and the itchiness will get worse. Let

the wax build up and your itchy will reduce. (01/17/2008)

By Terry T.

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

I went to a new dermatologist for the itchy ear problem. I've used Dermotic drops for the past

year, and some other ointment prior to that. The new dermatologist suggested using a dandruff

shampoo on a Q-tip and putting that in the ear canal every couple of days. I have to say

within a couple of days I had a lot of relief. My right ear has been fine and my left ear only

needs the Dermotic oil once in awhile. He did warn that too much use of the Dermotic or other

ointments could thin the membranes in the ear.

He gave me a sample of Loprox shampoo (a prescription), but said that Head and Shoulders or

any other dandruff shampoo may work as well. So far so good. This is the most relief I have

had in probably eight years. Hope this can help someone. My first dermatologist never

mentioned any of this to me. (01/19/2008)

By Becky

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

I was having the itching ear as well as sinus infections quite frequently. Was referred to a

product from Now Foods called Candida Clear. Not expensive, one or two capsules a day has made

a world of difference in both problems. (06/11/2008)

By NebraskaNell

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

I am so glad I into this website. I live in Denver and has always been healthy. I'm 36. About

a year ago I started having this ear itch. I went to my regular Dr. who told me it was eczema

and he gave me triamcinolone acetonide. It did not cure my problem. I went to a ENT Dr. he was

no help. He said to try vinegar or baby oil. The only way I get relief is to use hydocortison

2.5 lotion mixed with baby oil. (09/03/2008)

By NAY

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

By looking at all the feedback, its seems like this is problem for a lot of

people. I have always had problems with my left ear growing up. I was constantly having ear

aches and had my eardrum rupture a couple of times. Now I am 29 and went to an ENT because of

mild hearing loss and a mild itching sensation. It turns out there was accumulation of fluid

in my inner ear. (This could be a possible reason why some of you have the same itching

sensation). What the ENT conducted to relieve my problems was the Politzer Manuever, pretty

much popping your ears. Doing this every morning helped with the itchiness in my ears and

could help many of you. If you do have problems popping your own ears, there a device out

there called the Earpopper. (09/09/2008)

By Joe

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

I use Similisan earache relief drops when my ears itch inside like crazy. It really gives me

relief from the itching. <a href ="http://www.similasanusa.com/products-earache-

relief.cfm">similasanusa.com (10/12/2008)

By Jane

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

You probably have a fungal infection, it's like athlete's foot of the ear. You can go to CVS

and get over the counter anti-fungal drops active ingredient 1% Clotrimazole and put 4 drops

in your itchy ear each day. It may get warm in your ear, this is OK. Fungal infections take a

long time to heal but be patient. Hope this helps you out. (10/23/2008)

By Jill

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

I have had numerous ear problems my whole life with chronic ear infections being the root

cause of my problem. Ear and fungal infections can both cause itchiness in the ear. It is

important that you see an ENT to diagnose what you have because treatment is different for ear

infections and fungal infections. Ciprodex can help if you have an ear infection. However, I

had used Ciprodex on a fungal infection and it made my ear very wet and itchy and much worse.

It was eventually cured with a violet (purple-ish) liquid that an ENT can put in your ear with

a special swab. It requires about 3-4 applications. I suggest you speak to your ENT about

this. It is important to know what you have before treating it. (11/05/2008)

By Guest

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

I have just gone to an ENT for that specific problem. He said it is dryness and to "not" use

peroxide, as it is drying. Use a drop or two of sweet oil or olive oil. It works. Do not

use cotton buds or anything in the ear as you can experience an injury very easily. I know.

(01/14/2009)

By Toebeanie

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

I've been using Elocon cream once a week for 20 years now. Works like a charm. (02/04/2009)

By Eileen

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

I've been suffering from itchy ears for 2 years now. It is worse at night time and once in a

while I have clear discharges. The medications that the doctors prescribed did not work. I am

tired of being awake. I use Q-tips in the morning and at bedtime to scratch my itchy ears

daily. I've been using ear plugs when I take shower and my ears still itches. Then just the

other day, I finally decided to mix 2 tbsp warm vinegar and 2 tbsp isoprophyl alcohol and

pour 10 drops to my ears. My ears felt funny for 12 hrs (imagine the fluid in your ears) then

after 12 hrs my ears got better and haven't touched anymore Q-tips. No more itchy ears for me.

Hooray. (02/21/2009)

By bil45ohb

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

I've had the same problems discussed here for about 15 months--itching and irritation of my

left ear. After an MRI, a hearing test, two different ear, nose and throat specialists and a

dermatologist couldn't figure it out to my satisfaction, I finally decided to go to Johns

Hopkins University to see another ENT. He looked in my ears, told me my troublesome ear had

no wax in it, so it had no protections to fight off bacteria, bugs, itching, etc. and that

earwax was not a waste product to be removed or messed with via fingers, oils, Q-tips, creams,

ointments, etc. He said nothing should go in your ear, even water, for 8 weeks til the wax

re-forms. I'm working on week 3 and it occasionally itches bad, but I'm confident this will

finally work. Hope this helps. (04/27/2009)

By mojoct

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

My elderly mom uses "Miracell Calm Ear" and so I tried it, and it works great. <a

href="http://www.buymiracell.com">buymiracell.com (06/12/2009)

By macbabe

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

I have had this itchy ear problem for almost a year. With allergy season here it it has been

worse than ever. My doctor tells me to take Claritin as it is all related to sinus issues.

That doesn't help this incessant itch that is waking me up at night.

Here is what I have found to help. Mix half Lotrimin cream with half over the counter

hydrocortisone cream and using a Q-tip gently deposit the mixture into the car canal 3-4 times

a day. So far this is the only thing that given me any relief.

Why can't doctors come up with something to rid us of this annoying problem? (09/11/2009)

By Hudsongrl

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

I suffered with this kind of thing for years. I would have allergies that started with itchy

ear drums and inner ears. I tried Zyrtec and would keep symptoms down with Benadryl.

But eventually I discovered that my body had changed, and the problem was that I wasn't

getting enough water. I've been fine for a year now; as long as I stay hydrated (Drink even

when I'm not really thirsty) the problems are gone. If I go to bed without a drink though,

you can be sure I'll wake up in the night. (09/12/2009)

By Tarhish

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

I also suffer from itchy canals. I just wanted to add that my ears don't develop much wax

since I went through a full course of Acutane for acne. At first my ears itched, so I lubed

them with Vaseline. Then a physician or pharmacist told me it will trap bacteria, so he

recommended Bacitracin ointment USP. RX told me that bacteria will not grow in that

environment. Used it for 20 plus years.

Somehow I picked up the itch and I wore ear plugs for work everyday and rotated out the

dirty plugs. If its fungal, I will find out soon. I've been using benadryl cream and

benadryl tablets because I have some food dye allergies.

One more thing. I found out my ear ringing was from an irritated eliocecal [sp] valve that

connects large and small intestine. I gave up the frito lay chips and in two weeks my ears

stopped ringing. The E valve remains open for too long and will cause the ears to ring. It

can be massaged with hand pressure lower right below the belly button but don't use a lot of

pressure or you could tear the facia lining under your skin. Coffee and other roughage can

cause it too.

Good luck. (09/24/2009)

By Doug54

I get this terrible itching and tickling going on inside my ear, mostly in my right ear and every now and then in the other ear as well. It just drives me nuts. I know I should just go see my Dr., but I thought I'd ask here first. It doesn't appear that I have wax in my ear, although, it could be way inside. I did try putting some hydrogen peroxide, but that didn't do anything, nothing came out.

Debbie52 from IL

Feedback:

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

My inner ears often itch, one or the other, especially when I sleep on my side, and sometimes wakes me. It does drive me crazy and I've tried Q-tips and banning Q-tips. After over a year of looking into this and asking my doctor, who says it will probably just resolve itself, this is what I've found from the Dear Dr. Donohue newspaper column:

Seborrheic dermatitis is a chronic and often relapsing skin condition in areas of the skin with a large supply of oil glands. It can affect the area within the ear canal. Oil glands give the condition its name, but they aren't the source of trouble. A fungus whose name is Malassezia is. It produces byproducts that irritate and inflame the skin. Many otc shampoos and lotions can be quite effective against this fungus (if it manifests on the scalp or skin), but sometimes prescription medicated treatments are needed. Ketaconazole is an example. Selenium sulfide shampoo also works. Nonprescription brands of this material have a lower concentration of it than do the prescription preparations, which contain 2.5 percent selenium sulfide. It may take the stronger medications to do in the fungus.

Hope this helps. I'm pretty sure mine is the result of swimming in a dirty lake, as that gave me the pink eye that started at the same time. I'm going to try GNC today for any anti-fungicide treatment they may have as my doctor just brushed me off. (10/30/2009)

By nameburns

I get inner ear sores, and have constant itching and tickling in the same ear. Can you help me with this problem?

By Steph from Hot Springs, AR

Feedback:

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

You could possibly have an infection in there. It's not like an inner ear infection where you have to take antibiotics for 10 days. I used to get infections a lot when I was a kid. For me, it was caused by bacteria in the public pool that I went to a lot during the summer. See your doc. (11/07/2009)

By crazyliblady

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

I would try looking on earthclinic.com I use it quite a bit. The one remedy I know that should be safe and hopefully effective would be to rinse the ear with hydrogen peroxide. More specific instructions are on earthclinic. Also, garlic oil can be very effective against infections. Good luck. (11/07/2009)

By Gina J.

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

That's what's known as "swimmer's ear". Here's the cure: mix white, or preferably cider vinegar, 50/50 with rubbing alcohol. Once or twice a week, pour some of this mixture into each ear, and then drain. Put a part of a cotton ball in your outer ear, to catch the excess. This will stop the problem. The alcohol dries out any excess water that may be trapped in your ear canal; the vinegar will restore the PH balance that may be thrown off by any soap products, which allows bacteria to live in your ear, and cause the itching and tickling, as well as the sores.

I used to get swimmer's ear, and had to use the ear drops that the doctor prescribed until I ran across an article that suggested the 50/50 method. It works, it's cheap, and you don't have to come up with a co-pay to get it. Good luck.

Heather (11/07/2009)

By leopardstripes

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

I found some great tips on this site. I am posting to give back. I had an ear itch for about month. I saw an ENT who gave me Ciprodex drops, didn't help. Any itchiness or pain in the ear is a horrible feeling. Ear itch can be caused by bacterial or fungal infection or allergic reactions.

I tried Ciprodex drops (antibiotics) didn't help. I usually have bad allergies so I thought it was allergic. Don't use Q-tips. I took Clartin daily. I still was itchy in both ears.

Finally, I mixed some olive oil and clotrimazole 1% (Lotrimin cream) dropped a few drops last night. Relief. Just put the olive oil in a disposable mini cup and mix with a Q-tip. Then use the Q-trip to drop the solution in your ear. Don't stick the Q-tip in your ear, this will only make things worse. Hold your ear flap and shake with your head tilted. The ENT will show you how to do this. This will make sure the solution goes down your ear canal. You might just want to try olive oil first.

Summary:

• bacterial - Ciprodex drops (go to the ENT)

• allergic - try a dab of hydrocortisone, outside the ear canal. Or you can try olive oil. Olive oil is pretty good by itself.

• fungus - Vosol drops (acidifying drops). There is also a home remedy of 1 part vinegar: 1 part water. Or my mixture above.
    • Do not get water in your ear.
    • Use ear plugs when you take a shower.

Anyways go to to the ENT first. I tried the other solutions because my 2 ENT visits and 1 ER visit didn't provide much relief. With any home remedy just try a little at first, ears are very sensitive. (12/15/2009)

By sk55

RE: What might be causing an itchy ear?

I've had itchy ears for almost two years and finally saw a doctor for it. My ears itch so bad I have to scratch them and then they bleed, are sore, and ooze fluid. It drove me nuts. The itch even woke me up at night.

My doctor told me to buy these over the counter meds. Tinactin (yes, for feet), hydrocortizone cream 1%, and Neosporin. Mix these three meds together and apply generously with a Q-tip. I applied it twice a day, and am still using it for another 5 days just to make sure it's totally healed. I started using this a week ago, and the itch is finally gone. I was told it was a kind of yeast infection of the ears. Hope this helps. (01/25/2010)

By LAYODI

Health & Beauty AdviceFebruary 10, 2013
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    A girl popping a pimple.
    What Causes Acne?
    Young woman scratching her head furiously.
    Dandruff Remedies
    A woman with swimmers ear.
    Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
    buzzing in your ear
    Buzzing in Your Ears
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 11:02:51 AM on 10.0.0.234 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsArchives
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings