Causes of Ear Itching

Having an itch in your ear can be very annoying. Knowing the cause can help in finding a remedy. This is a guide about causes for ear itching.

February 15, 2010 Flag

What's wrong with me if my ears itch?

By Makenzie

Best Answer

My doctor said that pain or itching in ears is sometimes caused by teeth problems. See a dentist.

Best Answer

I have had numerous ear problems my whole life with chronic ear infections being the root cause of my problem. Ear and fungal infections can both cause itchiness in the ear. It is important that you see an ENT to diagnose what you have because treatment is different for ear infections and fungal infections. Ciprodex can help if you have an ear infection. However, I had used Ciprodex on a fungal infection and it made my ear very wet and itchy and much worse. It was eventually cured with a violet (purple-ish) liquid that an ENT can put in your ear with a special swab. It requires about 3-4 applications. I suggest you speak to your ENT about this. It is important to know what you have before treating it.

Best Answer

I have just gone to an ENT for that specific problem. He said it is dryness and to NOT use peroxide, as it is drying. Use a drop or two of sweet oil or olive oil. It works. Do not use cotton buds or anything in the ear as you can experience an injury very easily. I know.

Best Answer

February 20, 2014 Flag

Bed time for me is a time for ringing noises and itching ears. What could be the cause? One thing I have and suffer from is that my ear builds up lots of wax, which means I get my ears cleaned every year. I never had the disco and dancers in my ear until this year.

By King from Dublin, Ireland

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Usually the ringing is not related to ear wax. It is called tinnitus and is one of the joys of getting older. The trick is to just forget about it and not let it annoy you.

Best Answer

Perhaps you need your ears cleaned more often. I would start with that. If that doesn't help, see a doctor.

I have a loss of hearing and my ENT doctor it is the hearing loss that cause it, the brain make's up the fact I don't hear all the sounds I used to hear. It is filling in. also I have a lot of inching in my ears, the doctor say's to use Hydrocortisone in my ear's

May 27, 2015 Flag

How to stop my ears from itching? I was diagnosed with an ear infection in both ears last week. I have been taking antibiotics and using ears drops that have been prescribed, however my ears are still itching. What can I do to stop the itching and how soon will the meds kick in?

This is a question you need to ask your doctor. Tell him or her you are having this problem and ask how soon the meds are supposed to start working.

Not too sure what to do to stop the itching, but I will share about my own itching issue here, and perhaps you can gain some insight: Most of my life, I had ear itching quite frequently. Sometimes it drove me nuts. About 10 years ago, I found out I have quite a few allergies, among them dairy. When I don't have dairy, my ears never itch. When I do, they itch from the dairy, and some of the other things I am allergic to as well, including pollens and grasses. Long story short, the itching is likely a reaction to something, and it is somewhat possible that your infection could have been caused by an over-production of wax that couldn't drain fast enough, from allergy as well.

Could be a yeast infection. Antibiotics will make it worse. I would use a 1/2 white vinegar 1/2 alcohol mix. You can also add some peroxide and/or a little bit of betadine/povidine solution (NOT betadine scrub as that has soap in it!!)

FYI One time I had a very very itchy ear and a doctor noticed a tiny black hair on the eardrum. One day about a year later it finally came out on a qtip and it did'nt itch anymore. It was probably a dog hair as i have many of them. It looked like an eyelash though. And other doctors could not see it and made me feel a little stupid for asking about it LOL. What can you do...

July 18, 2013 Flag

I already had tympanoplasty surgery in my right ear, but it failed for some reason. Now in my right ear dry itching comes very often and to stop that I am using ear buds. I want to know what may be the reasons for this itchiness in my right ear and how can I stop that?

By John

Why don't you go back and ask your doctor? I had itching in my ears and my dr. said I probably had a fungus. Take a cotton swab dipped in hydrogen peroxide and gently swab your ear. Do this for several weeks and hopefully the itching will be gone.

I've heard there could be one of two causes, if not both (in my case, anyway). One: Allergies. Two: People with fibromyalgia (which I have) seem to suffer with ear itching a lot. As for remedies, I'm sorry to say I don't have any. I wish I did, though. My right ear, in particular, itches almost constantly.

When I got tested for my first hearing aids not too long ago I asked the technician about that. He recommended a squirt of vinegar in the ear, then flush with rubbing alcohol. The alcohol removes all water in the ear - which is good.

I've been adding a tiny dash of dish detergent to the vinegar to speed up the process.

April 17, 2013 Flag

I have been having this problem over the years. My ears are very itching especially when wet. I can't stop scratching it with my finger or with the cotton puds. I need help please, it's annoying me all of the time.

By Sal from Australia

I use Blistex. It is a medicated lip ointment here in the USA. It is in a tube and says it is an external analgesic. I use it for many, many, many things. Itchy places on bodies, pain on skin, on lips, insect bites, itchy ears, and many, many more.

Hope this helps, it sure is something I've used for many years, and would not do without.

First thing to do is see a doctor. You write that your ears itch more when wet and that is usually a sign of either fungus, chronic infection or impacted ear wax.

If it's a fungus or chronic infection, antibiotics will clear it up, and your GP will also give you information on keeping the condition from recurring. And if it's ear wax, your GP can safely remove excess wax with equipment in his/her office. Btw, if it is ear wax, the cotton buds are only making it worse by pushing the wax deeper into the ear canal.

If the GP visit doesn't solve it (and it more than likely will), try using a non-sulfate shampoo. You'll have to read a lot of labels to find the ones that don't have any ingredients containing the word sulfate (example: sodium laurel sulfate).

Long story short I suffered incredibly itchy ears and scalp for decades-GP couldn't figure it out, sent me to all manner of specialists but nothing helped. That was in the US and they all called it eczema but after moving to the UK my new GP said to try non-sulfate shampoo and body wash. My ears never itched again from the first use. My scalp is clear too.

October 15, 2014 Flag

What makes the ear to itch that ends up irritating it?

By Sebeo from Botswana, Molepolole

Bacteria?

You picking at it, digging in it?

July 29, 2013 Flag

I have had itchy ears for some time now and the last time I visited an ENT I was given antibiotics and it stop for almost a year and now it has started again. Please what might be the cause of it? Thank you.

By Jenny from Accra, Ghana

You can try using white vinegar and water or peroxide in a 50/50 ratio to flush the ear, this way if there is an infection starting it will cure it.

If the antibiotics stopped the itch for a year, it sounds as though what ever conditions caused the itch in the first place have caused it again.

You live in Ghana which is a tropical country, is it possible the environmental conditions there have exposed you to a fungus? Tropical countries are wonderful places to live but unfortunately come with lots of fungal infection conducive conditions.

For example, I lived in Guatemala for 2.5 years and on my return to the USA it took my doctor several years to figure out I had picked up a fungal infection whilst in Central America. The antibiotics would clear it up enough to stop the horrible itch but then as soon as it got warm and humid (I was living in the US Deep South) the fungal infection would flare up and I would be back in the doctor's office.

He thought I had recurring ear infections and didn't think to test me for a tropical fungus until I read something in a travel magazine and took the article to him. Once the test results came back I was put on the right medication and while I had to take the meds for close to two years, the fungus was cleared and I'm fine now.

Perhaps you might ask your doctor to test you for a fungus. The test is painless: the doctor gently scrapes the area where the itch is worse to gather several samples of dead skin cells. He/she then either cultures the samples in the clinic lab or sends the samples to a centralised lab for culturing and a diagnosis. The results take about two weeks to come back.

The proper medication to completely clear the fungus may need to be taken for as long as 6-12 months but is very much worth it!

July 15, 2013 Flag

I was diagnosed with swimmers ear on Friday, and ever since I started taking the antibiotics my ears have been itching like crazy, to the extent where it's kept me up all night. Could I be allergic to the medicine?

February 15, 2010 Flag

I get inner ear sores, and have constant itching and tickling in the same ear. Can you help me with this problem?

Load More
Health & Beauty AdviceFebruary 10, 2013
Young woman scratching her head furiously.
Dandruff Remedies
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
buzzing in your ear
Buzzing in Your Ears
Elephant Ear Plant
Wintering an Elephant Ear Plant
🎉
🎄