Finding Agencies to Help After a House Fire

Can I get help if me and my baby were living at a house that got burned down with our things in it if our name isn't on the lease?

By Seiricka from Montgomery, AL

Did the Red Cross step in with help. I used to work in a Red Cross office in SD and when people would lose everything in a fire, if they didn't have a place to go immediately we put them up in a motel for a short period of time, they also got vouchers for(if I remember right) two complete sets of clothes and a pair of shoes, depending on the weather vouchers for winter outdoor wear, and when they found a place of their own to live they could get vouchers for bedding and towels. This help was given for each member of a family. Call them and see what they say if they haven't already contacted the home owner. I don't know how it works when your name wasn't on the lease, from different things I have heard it isn't legal to live in a place if your name isn't on the lease or without the landlord's permission. But do check with the Red Cross.

I agree with Redhatterb. Contact your local Red Cross.

I was recently in an apartment building fire, it was my boyfriend and I living there. The Red Cross did help us immediately, they gave us a card with some little amount of money on it like a credit card, for food clothes etc. Then they set us up in a hotel for a days, (this was on a Thursday, so Thursday night and Friday night we were good, but what can we have done over the weekend?? So we called back and stayed in another (not so nice,) motel for 2 more days, until Monday morning. Then we were basically on our own unless we wanted to go into the local shelter! (Not a good place to be at all, very poor conditions all around!!) But they did say after we get into a new apartment they will help us with things like furniture and kitchen stuff, etc. It has been hard finding agencies that will help us, if it wasn't for my parents I would be in that shelter! ;(

The biggest issue is transportation.