Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Finding Agencies to Help After a House Fire

Can I get help if me and my baby were living at a house that got burned down with our things in it if our name isn't on the lease?

By Seiricka from Montgomery, AL

By JnA71103/26/2013

I was recently in an apartment building fire, it was my boyfriend and I living there. The Red Cross did help us immediately, they gave us a card with some little amount of money on it like a credit card, for food clothes etc. Then they set us up in a hotel for a days, (this was on a Thursday, so Thursday night and Friday night we were good, but what can we have done over the weekend?? So we called back and stayed in another (not so nice,) motel for 2 more days, until Monday morning. Then we were basically on our own unless we wanted to go into the local shelter! (Not a good place to be at all, very poor conditions all around!!) But they did say after we get into a new apartment they will help us with things like furniture and kitchen stuff, etc. It has been hard finding agencies that will help us, if it wasn't for my parents I would be in that shelter! ;(

By Patricia Eldridge12/24/2010

I agree with Redhatterb. Contact your local Red Cross.

By Joan [13]12/23/2010

Did the Red Cross step in with help. I used to work in a Red Cross office in SD and when people would lose everything in a fire, if they didn't have a place to go immediately we put them up in a motel for a short period of time, they also got vouchers for(if I remember right) two complete sets of clothes and a pair of shoes, depending on the weather vouchers for winter outdoor wear, and when they found a place of their own to live they could get vouchers for bedding and towels. This help was given for each member of a family. Call them and see what they say if they haven't already contacted the home owner. I don't know how it works when your name wasn't on the lease, from different things I have heard it isn't legal to live in a place if your name isn't on the lease or without the landlord's permission. But do check with the Red Cross.

Here are questions related to Finding Agencies to Help After a House Fire.

Question: Finding Help After House Fire

The day after my birthday my house burnt down to the ground. Luckily it was daytime and nobody was home, but we lost it all. The local Red Cross gave us $500, but with paying for a hotel, toiletries, and few items of clothing, on day 2 it is gone. Please we need advice where we can get help. We live in a poor area and charities are few and far between. I am a single mom of 2 little girls. Please help us with any info on where we can get help. Thank you, God Bless.

By Jodi

Most Recent Answer

By HEATHER KNEEAND05/17/2011

Call all the local towns around you. We have a "store" where that gives away free furniture. Try to get into a homeless shelter. They have lots of resources. Even if you have to travel that is better than not having a place to live. Also try to find out if you town or any towns around have a Social worker as they have all sorts of great information. Good luck.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Finding Agencies to Help After a House Fire

My house burned down 3 days ago. I lost everything. Who do I go to for help? I already did the Red Cross. My dog was hurt, who can help pay vet emergency expenses?

By Jennifer from Alachua, FL

RE: Finding Agencies to Help After a House Fire

Jennifer, I'm so sorry for what's happened! Have you spoken to your insurance agent yet? I've never been through anything like this, but I know people who have lost their homes from tornadoes, and I know they spoke with their agent ASAP. Outside of that, maybe your church (or just some local church, if you don't regularly attend) would be able to give you a hand. I hope someone has some good advice for you. I'm sending you some positive vibes. Good luck. (07/29/2010)

By mrs.story

I'm so sorry. How about contacting your local paper and asking if they would want to do a story about you and your plight? Readers can be given a way to help you. Ask a bank to set up a collection fund for you. Ask a veterinarian if they have any suggestions for help, perhaps they will even come forth to help. God Bless You. (07/30/2010)

By garnetgirl9

Contact your local county health department. There are things set in place for disasters, under the homeland security act, and each state/county is to have all sorts of emergency responses set it place. Minnesota's name is MN Responds. They all run through public health, which also include emergency planning of the city/county/state. They would have the absolute lists for you. Granted, these programs are set up for mass emergencies like tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, etc but they can direct you. I am part of the MN Responds.

For the dog, check your local humane societies. I don't know of what they could do, help put your dog in foster care maybe? Depends on the amount of responsibility they take on. If you surrender your pet, they would do 100% of the care--providing the health of the pet is still not in danger of illness/infection, etc. (08/03/2010)

By TandT Grandma

Hi Jennifer: So sorry to hear of your problem. Try calling the Salvation Army, they help so many people. Also your local Humane Society might be able to help with your dog. Good luck to you. (08/06/2010)

By Joankay