Tiny Changes To Save Electricity

The recent essays on saving money on fuel bills in small ways got me thinking. I was getting annoyed with myself because I was wasting so much power boiling and reboiling my electric kettle. I kept forgetting to only heat as much water as I needed and left the coffee maker heating ring on all day. Realizing that there must be an answer to all this waste, I made these changes to my daily routines to save some electricity and some of my precious cash!

I found a 5 pint pump action vacuum flask on sale for $2, a fantastic bargain, but they can be picked up for around $10. I boil the electric kettle twice in the morning, fill the flask and have hot water for tea on tap all day. If there is anything left come the evening, I use it for cooking or dish washing.

The answer to the coffee problem was far more simple, I make the coffee, turn off the machine, then microwave it a cup at a time as I need it. It tastes better and saves me money too. Such tiny changes in our ways of doing things may seem insignificant on a daily basis, but they can add up to make a difference at the end of the month when we open the bills.

By Ayesha from Kranj

Please describe the 5 pint pump action vacuum flask and

where can you find one and in what department of the store.

I'm sure you realize that reheating coffee or anything in the microwave uses energy, too. There's no getting around it, if you want a hot drink. Can you pour your hot coffee in the flask?

I know that microwaving will use power but I think it is better than leaving the coffee maker on all the time or throwing unused coffee away and brewing fresh. These flasks are in most houseware shops over here (in Europe) or houseware sections of large Supermarkets. Perhaps they are called something different in the states? They are just really large vacuum flasks with a flip off lid and a simple pump attached to a spout. The first one I got was a complete snip but I picked up another up with 50% off.

I love saving money! We've been on a form of level billing for a long time. However, I love seeing the actual usage charge below the level of our payment - it counts toward the arrearage that built up over the years.

I save electricity in tiny ways, too. I unplug the toaster and microwave unless they're in use. Since our coffeemaker is on a surge suppressor, I simply turn that off. Same goes for any plug or surge suppressor that doesn't have something expensive (like my computer) plugged in to it. Pennies count!

Oh, btw, I think that flask might be called something like a "butler," or simply a pump-action thermos here in the US.

We found a coffeemaker that turns off automatically after brewing. The carafe is metal and keeps the coffee warm for two or three hours.

I just put my coffee in a thermos. I saw workers at a coffee shop do this and the coffee stays fresh.

So, if you turn off the coffee pot and nuke your coffee when ya want it, isnt that the same as using more kilowatts when you are tryin to cut down the electric bill anyway? Guess I ain't gettin it.

Saving Money on Your Electric Bill, Money and Light Bulb on Top of Electric Bill
Saving Money on Your Electric Bill
Better Living Green Living Conservation ElectricityMarch 2, 2011
Quart of Oil, Rag and Funnel
Saving Money on Oil Changes
Tiny Bow
Making a Tiny Bow
Clothes Dryer
Clothes Dryer Tips
A pregnant golden retriever.
Determining If Your Dog Is Pregnant