Craft: Decorative Gift Magnets

I love making people little things and then giving them gift baskets. One of the things I make are magnets. Magnets can be made from all kinds of thing. The ones I am submitting are the small photos on the backs of calendars. I simply use Dollar Tree sealing tape, the 2 inch wide kind. I then cut a piece of cardboard the same size at the photo, and cover the photo with enough tape to wrap around the back, securing it to the cardboard. Then, using hot glue or tacky glue, I put a flat magnet on the back.

Note: Flat magnets come in all shapes, but mostly they are strips. Stay away from the rolled kind, as they are hard to flatten out. I get the discs when I can, as they are stronger. You can often find both at the dollar trees', but if you get the strips, make sure to test them on the metal first. Some have a small groove down the middle of the magnet, and that either indicates the strong or the weak side. The ones I use are weaker on that side, so I just remember "when in doubt, the groove is out" and then I don't forget.

During the seasons, DT's often have little "fimo style" plastic ornaments that are flat and make perfect pins or magnets. Other ideas for magnets are:

• Fancy Buttons
  • Small Frames
  • Thimbles
  • Miniatures like dishes, pots and pans or mirrors from doll houses
  • Little critters like teddies and bunnies
  • Old costume jewelry
  • Legos or small toys
  • Dice or Game pieces
  • Mini salt and pepper sets

The list is limited only by your imagination!

You will need:

• The magnets of your choice
  • Tacky glue or
  • E600 glue (recommended if the magnet is heavy or slick plastic)
  • Tape and scissors, (if it's paper and cardboard)

Most of the things that are mentioned can also be used to make pins. Just make sure that the pin back is not only stuck to the item, but covered with glue, as well. Hot glue works fine with porous things, but stronger glue needs to be used for slick surfaces.

Have Fun!!

By Sandra from Salem, OR

Decorative Gift Magnets

You have some great ideas and should make up extra and sell outright or on consignment at gift shops !!!

Those are fabulous!

Great ideas. Going to try these.

Animal Cracker Magnets
Homemade Refrigerator Magnets
Photos CraftsSeptember 15, 2008
Animal Cracker Magnets
Homemade Kitchen Gift Ideas
brown cow magnet
Making Vintage Fridgie Diet Reminder Magnets
Advertising Magnets
Uses for Advertising Magnets
Making Flower Magnets for Your Locker
Making Flower Magnets for Your Locker
🎉
🎄