TreesGardening

Mimosa Tree Care

Category Trees

I had just sent in my money to join the Jerry Baker club and I would like to know if you have any information on mimosa plants. I just got one at a fair, but there was no information about them. So if you do, I would be very grateful for anything about them. It's getting very tall right now with pink flowers and some new sprouts, but winter is coming and I don't know how to take care of it. I live in Illinois near Wisconsin. Thank you. Hope you can help me.

By Susan

Mimosa trees require lots of water, much like a weeping willow. They flower in the summer months with pink feather like round blossoms (also available in yellow, but pink is most common). You can severely trim the stalk way back to keep the trunks more upright if you prefer tht look. I like the sweeping trunk look. Do NOT plant the trees near the house, over time the roots can grow under foundations (causing foundations to crack). Also do not plant near driveways (the flower sap can stain cars) AKA the tickle me plant because the leaves will close upon itself after being touched. AKA silk tree for the silky looking flowers. Seeds produce inside a leathery pod in the fall.

Gorgeous trees when they get some size to them. I have several 20 footers in the yard. =)