Stocking Up On Food Pays Off During Hard Times

Here's another grocery tip. When the Y2K scare was going on we decided to go ahead and stock up on dry products and other items that might be needed. Even though nothing came of it we kept from getting into those items. Later that year my husband got laid off from his job and could not find work. In a small town it's very hard to steady work. Boy, were we thankful for the stockpile of stuff we had.

I was working only 3-4 days per week as my employer would allow so that took care of electricity and such. The food and the gas we saved really came in handy as well as the candles and batteries, as our area in this small mountain town tends to lose electricity in the winter.

We use a fireplace to heat so that was a good thing and my stove is propane without the electronic ignite. We found we couldn't use the oven if the electricity was out so when we had to buy a new one it was all pilot and no electric to it. I was very thankful for the stockpile of food we had. We had done a good job on variety, and I had canned a lot of meat.

The gas we had in our out building had really been a great help, we spent 85 cents a gallon to fill several cans and when we needed it, the gas prices were 1.50+. So we now keep many things on hand for the outages and just a few gallons of gas. We have been able to help many people with our stockpile in rough times. So when I can, I get extra and put it in our pantry for a rainy day or to help someone else.

By RoseMary

Food and Recipes StorageNovember 6, 2004
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
A hole in a pair of pantyhose.
Fixing a Run in Your Stockings
Making a Christmas Stocking
Making a Christmas Stocking
Crocheting a Stocking
Crocheting a Stocking
🎉
🎄